TPMS - Generic or OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
09 Tundra - New Rims, they tried to save the TPMS but were corroded on. Light on dash is on. And bugging me. There are some electrical work arounds (different wire combinations under dash) but not sure if it would be worth it.

NAPA has some generic TMPS or OEM or amazon/ebay? I am skeptical of some from foreign country on ebay (work for a year and then what)...maybe not.

Thoughts/recommendations.

I tried used with short warranty via ebay for my Xterra. Was under $15. No need to totally dismount the tire at least with my aluminum rims. Coming up on a year in April and no idiot light
The rest of the senders are original

Last edited:
Unless TPMS light on disables traction control or 4wd or something crazy like that I would use a piece of electrical tape to fix the problem. Eye ball tires before each drive, if any look low, check with pressure gauge

In my experience, some auto manufacturers use proprietary TPMS sensors. Nissan/Infiniti is one. I can't use generics because they won't scan and reset correctly. Do your research for Toyota applications.

Depends on the car I suppose. I bought TPMS mounted in the winter wheels for my mothers GS Lexus. Programming the Lexus is a PITA as the computer looks for a specific sensor ID code. You can buy a tool on the Toyota/Lexus and I'm sure other various cars that use this system to program the computer or pay the dealer to do it. We opted for the tool since the wheels are seasonal use and it was going to pay for itself in 1 season of use compared to paying the dealership to swap computer programs. So far in 2 years the Tire Rack sensors have been dauntless. YMMV.

I have gotten quite adept to ignoring the TPMS light being on most of the time on my 2015 Silverado. I run the pressures the tire manufacturer recommends on their load/pressure charts based on the actual load on the axle. GM doesn't like that, but GM didn't make the tires so I ignore their desires. GM thinks I should be running the pressure that would be appropriate if I had the pickup maxed out on weight. Well that seems pretty stupid when the pickup is empty. The TPMS has a fit, but I have no problem ignoring it. Quite possibly, when sensors goes out, I may not even bother to replacing them. I never wanted TPMS to begin with and had to pay for it in the initial purchase of the vehicle, but I am not forced to continue to pay later for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back