CVT Rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driven extensively 3, 4 and 5 speed MTs, and conventional autos. The CVT is better by far. No jumps and smooth and steady during cruise. Provides power when needed. Responds beautifully to changes in demand. Destined to be the transmission of the future.

Most people hate them. I love the one on my new Ford C-Max- awesome
Honda was okay and Mitsu was better than Honda to me but does moan and groan a bunch. The Ford is perfect for me.

My wife's 2011 Nissan Quest has one, we love it!
Very smooth and keeps the rpm's down under light throttle, delivers great gas mileage for a big minivan.
Changed the fluid at around 50k, up to 72k now and still working like new.

I didn't like it at first too but i must say, it is a joy to use now. The car never feels like it's searching for the right gear.

My friends are on their second and swear they love it. They had a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander (sold to mutual friend) and now have a 2013.

Identical 2.4l w/CVT in both.

The FEW times I've been in their cars I've experienced a shudder or rumble which I wasn't sure of.

I will be dropping the trannie pan and filter in the '11 in a couple of days. It has 92,000 and has yet to be serviced.

I'll be using Amalie CVT fluid. Cheers

They lack any sort of sporty characteristics, but provide a smooth drive and improved MPG's for sure. My biggest worry would be long term durability. If it goes out you will be paying the big bucks to have it replaced. I for one am not against them, I just prefer the more engaging drive that stepped automatics provide.

My Altima 3.5 has 172k miles on its CVT and the original CVT fluid is still in it. Runs very good. Only downside is in speeds under 40 mph you get the droning sound. That because it is in 5th gear going 25 mph.
I suspect that part of some the CVT problems have been people putting regular atf fluid in them. Or trying a cheaper CVT fluid which doesn't work out so well. The Nissan CVTs have a deterioration number that is 210,000. In all of my research the highest number documented was 56,000 at 60,000 miles. Almost all of the other numbers have been less than 15,000. One person's number was 4700 at 45,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: SteveGG
Driven extensively 3, 4 and 5 speed MTs, and conventional autos. The CVT is better by far. No jumps and smooth and steady during cruise. Provides power when needed. Responds beautifully to changes in demand. Destined to be the transmission of the future.

The future is what I would be worried about when that belt goes bad inside.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
My Altima 3.5 has 172k miles on its CVT and the original CVT fluid is still in it.

Yikes
crazy2.gif

Castrol CVT is less than $6/qt on Amazon. Plus, it's available on subscribe-and-save, so need for Amazon Prime or spending over $49
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
More engaging automatic tranny, never heard that one before.

Yes, I think many would agree that a stepped automatic is more engaging to drive than a CVT.

My niece had to have a Nissan Rogue, I told her not to buy it because of the CVT and she bought it anyway. They have repaired it 4 times and now its in the dealer again totally blown this time. The car is being repaired under warranty but geez what a PITA this thing is.

These CVT transmissions are trouble waiting to happen plain and simple, the technology used today in these units was developed for a 22 HP engine in a small car (DAF 600), you don't need a engineering degree to understand you cant move a belt metal reinforced or otherwise up and down conical pulleys without something wearing out quickly under certain conditions like cars driven mostly in town like this one is.
IMO CVT is just another example of horrible technology driven by fuel economy regulations and nothing more. Personally I wouldn't want a car with one as a gift.

49.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: SteveGG

Would you mind providing the make/model of the vehicle with this CVT?

I guess it's all in particular implementation. If done wrong, any transmission can suck, regardless if manual, conventional auto, or CVT. My one recent CVT experience on a rental Altima 4-cyl was underwhelming. They programmed it in such a way that it was always at too low RPM and hesitant to move higher, so when accelerating at average pace it felt like the engine was lugging and would cause the whole car to vibrate. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: Trav
My niece had to have a Nissan Rogue, I told her not to buy it because of the CVT and she bought it anyway. They have repaired it 4 times and now its in the dealer again totally blown this time. The car is being repaired under warranty but Jesus what a PITA this thing is.

These CVT transmissions are trouble waiting to happen plain and simple, the technology used today in these units was developed for a 22 HP engine in a small car (DAF 600), you don't need a engineering degree to understand you cant move a belt metal reinforced or otherwise up and down conical pulleys without something wearing out quickly under certain conditions like cars driven mostly in town like this one is.
IMO CVT is just another example of horrible technology driven by fuel economy regulations and nothing more. Personally I wouldn't want a car with one as a gift.

49.gif

Horrible technology....yet many go 200K+ without issue. CVT's have been around for a while now especially in Nissans line up. With many car manufacturers adopting them I'm sure the bugs will be worked out in time just like anything else. Full disclosure, I am a Honda fanboy but their CVT's seem to be holding up very well, and are touted by many to be the best in the business. They flirted with them over the years but became more mainstream when the 9th gen Accord was introduced.

Originally Posted By: cronk
They are a steel "belt". I've never actually seen or heard of one breaking.

Oh yes, they do break, and we used to keep a broken (disintegrated) belt to show customers what stopped their car. It's a push belt, unlike the normal V belt used in a scooter. Nissan and Mitsubishi have a big stake in Jatco who make their CVT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back