1997 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm here with a dumb question. I need to replace my belt tensioner, and 2 idler pulleys(torx steel bolts in aluminum), but the fan shroud is in the way. Does anyone know how to remove the shroud without removing the clutch fan or radiator? I'm trying to do this with what tools I have and without taking steps I don't need.

I know on my 97 E350 pulling and draining the rad is not at all hard as the rad is held in by couple pieces holding the rubber isolators on the top and just gravity holds the rad via a pair of stumps on the bottom. Have done the project several times for replacement of belt after ground hog got ground up once and couple times to replace the vac pump and hole in rad too. Biggest pain is the draining. Got it down to under an hour project.

Won't the belt fit between the fan clutch and the radiator? I did my wife's 2002 F250 with the 7.3 that way.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Won't the belt fit between the fan clutch and the radiator? I did my wife's 2002 F250 with the 7.3 that way.

He has to replace the tensioner and probably the skin on his knuckles if not careful
eek.gif

There is an upgraded tensioner for the SD's that is backwards compatible. Ford issued a bulletin on it. Try Googling for

Ford Article No.7.3L DI TURBO ENGINE 98-23-14

and you will find the service bulletin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back