Buying a Barrel of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's strange.is there a law against consumers purchasing crude oil? [censored], Jeb Clampett shot at the ground and got some bubbling crude! It would of been a different show if he had gotten arrested.

Crude oil liquid measure is measured in barrels.

But that does not mean you can buy a barrel of crude oil.

Mindless, ignorant journalists have no clue.

Originally Posted By: gilbertsta
That's strange.is there a law against consumers purchasing crude oil? [censored], Jeb Clampett shot at the ground and got some bubbling crude! It would of been a different show if he had gotten arrested.

In real life the govt would've taken Jed's land away from him! :p

You could always buy some Calor Gas, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, cheap additive-free engine oil and some bitumen and make your own barrel of crude oil.

Originally Posted By: Burd
It's B S you can't but a barrel. Wood barrel?
How many gallons in this barrel?

42 gallon.

I learned the other day that they arrive at the 42 gallon measure from when they literally used to transport crude oil in barrels. that is how much was left in the barrel after they hauled it where ever they were going. Apparently the lid was invented at a later date.

Last edited:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-03/that-time-i-tried-to-buy-some-crude-oil

Besides it being a potentially volatile piece for conversation, what else can you do with crude oil. I'd much rather be caught moonshining than distilling crude, but that's just me
smile.gif

Jed was lucky that his gusher wasn't too close to his still...them revenooers woulda been all over his hide!

no law vs. it that I know, it's just that i don't think the industry is prepared nor wants to sell to the average person. the crude oil, all though measured in barrels is transported in huge bulk quantities, then pumps are likely used to move from the tanker to the refiner or their storage bins. and then there are the pipe lines that move oil across the states... this is my best guess.

and what use would we folks have for crude anyway?

there is a member here that used to work for the industry perhaps he'll catch this someday and edumucate us.

good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back