Harmonic Balancer Torque Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing some research on my 2010 MDX to decide if I want to tackle TB replacement early before I get too old and feeble, lol. Balancer bolt torque is way outside the range of my torque wrench but Honda gives you a way out by specifying torque as 47 ft-lbs plus 60 degrees. Just recently had a similar issue with my Toyota. Would be nice if Toyota also offered a torque plus degree spec. Question: is there a table or rule of thumb to convert degrees rotation to ft-lbs for various fasteners? Thanks.

PS I noticed NGK spark plugs also specify degree rotation in addition to ft-lbs.

Edit. Just found this explanation:

http://www.assemblymag.com/articles/87404-fastening-threads-torque-control-vs-angle-control

Last edited:
I think I would either borrow a torque wrench or buy a harbor freight clicker torque wrench .

I think a HF clicker would be more accurate than eye balling it.

I used their 1/4 clicker to tighten the distributor rotors on my LS400 when I did the timing belt. Going on 10K without issue

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Balancer bolt torque is way outside the range of my torque wrench but Honda gives you a way out by specifying torque as 47 ft-lbs plus 60 degrees.

In this particular case, you'll not be able to get the proper torque, anyway. If going by the lb*ft spec alone, it's more than most people weigh at the end of a 1-foot bar, not including the multiple extensions needed to get the socket way in there. I've done two Honda V-6 timing belt jobs, and "proper spec" is as tight as I can humanly get it. One was done about 50k miles ago and the other about 10k miles ago.

The hardest part of the entire job is getting the bolt OFF in the first place. I was able to do it on the MDX with some creative work using the vehicle's leverage against the ratchet handle extension. The Ridgeline's bolt wasn't budging. I drove down to a local shop and paid them 40 bucks to loosen it. It took them about 10 continuous minutes of wailing on it with pneumatics to get it to move. They had to re-torque it, but that was still enough for me to be able to get it loose relatively easy at home.

The rest of the job is cake.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Balancer bolt torque is way outside the range of my torque wrench but Honda gives you a way out by specifying torque as 47 ft-lbs plus 60 degrees.

In this particular case, you'll not be able to get the proper torque, anyway. If going by the lb*ft spec alone, it's more than most people weigh at the end of a 1-foot bar, not including the multiple extensions needed to get the socket way in there. I've done two Honda V-6 timing belt jobs, and "proper spec" is as tight as I can humanly get it. One was done about 50k miles ago and the other about 10k miles ago.

The hardest part of the entire job is getting the bolt OFF in the first place. I was able to do it on the MDX with some creative work using the vehicle's leverage against the ratchet handle extension. The Ridgeline's bolt wasn't budging. I drove down to a local shop and paid them 40 bucks to loosen it. It took them about 10 continuous minutes of wailing on it with pneumatics to get it to move. They had to re-torque it, but that was still enough for me to be able to get it loose relatively easy at home.

The rest of the job is cake.

Yeah, been watching videos. One guy said penetrating oil was the key. Start applying preferably a week before but at least 48 hours before. He said it makes a HUGE difference. Also the special heavy wall socket gets rave reviews.

Last edited:
One guy said penetrating oil was the key. Start applying preferably a week before but at least 48 hours before. He said it makes a HUGE difference.

+1 on that. I've found that soaking beforehand (multiple applications over time) with Aero Kroil makes easy work of tasks that have driven others to absolute frustration.

Also having the right tool that's set-up properly is vitally important; even the best impact will leave you disappointed if it can't get the air it needs to do the job.

Been doing some more reading re "turn-of -the-nut" bolt tightening. Seems like all auto manufacturers should use this to spec harmonic balancer bolts. Question: Is it ok to use an impact wrench to achieve proper angle? It appears steelworkers use electric impacts to pretension bolts after the bolt is seated and witness marks are applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back