Screw in tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might sound dumb and unsafe, but if there is a screw in the tread and there is not air being lost... Would it be safest to unscrew or pull the screw and plug it or leave it there.

I'm not to familiar with how it would affect the structural integrity of the rubber.

I usually get hit by UNthreaded things like clips, staples, nails, etc

It can be patched like a nail if it is in the patchable area. leave the screw in until you take the tire in to get patched. There is a good chance the screw will eventually cause a leak . How big is the screw?

if you remove the screw will it leak air?

sometimes they are .25" long others are 3" or longer.

Leave it there (as it will leak when removed) for now and get it patched at the shop .

Last edited:
I would leave itin until the time of the repair. If the tire is holding air, its either not deep enough to penetrate, or else well sealed.

If it has penetrated, you dont want a leak. If not, you still want to block water from getting to the belts.

I wouldnt put off repairs. When the head wears off then im sure youll leak bad.

A few years ago, I picked up a screw in the sidewall of my AWD vehicle.

I knew that a tire shop wouldn't repair it since it was in the sidewall...and I didn't want to buy 4 new tires (as is recommended with the AWD system, which is sensitive to different tire circumference)

SO:

I backed the (sheetrock) screw out, applied some black RTV to the threads, and screwed it in somewhat. Didn't drive on it for 48 hours.

That 'repair' lasted another 15K miles. Only had to re-seal it ONCE.

I was pretty happy with myself when I finally bought new tires, LOL.
grin.gif

I've had screws that were in for quite sometime and didn't leak. By the time I'd find them they were worn past the heads. However I wouldn't knowingly drive on one though. The problem is, in addition to the leak, it may let moisture in and that will corrode the belts and possibly cause delamination of the tread. If your gonna drive on it at least seal it like the poster above.

I remove them by unscrewing, using a screwdriver or vise grips, to try and minimize damage to the belts. Use a good flexible adhesive if your planning on plugging it yourself. I use E6000 glue (Amazon has small one-time use packs available). Stuff works better then the rubber cement in the cheap plug kits. We also use E6000 at work to patch together rubber conveyor belts.

Best route is taking it to a shop and getting a proper internal seal plug.

+1 on all the suggestions to take it to a shop and let them fix it. If it's in the tread, then there's a very good chance they can repair it very well. What's the tread like on the tire?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

When the head wears off then im sure youll leak bad.

Very good observation JHZR2!

SirTanon,

They are LT245/75-16 Firestones on the front. Good tread...probably a third left from new. Just a guess since Ive only had the truck for about two years and five thousand miles. The rears are getting pretty bald. I have a set of alloys waiting to go on, but only three tires (one had a blowout from previous ownership). But one of the tires from the alloys doesnt hold air well. AFAICR, I aired the three equally and now two show 30psi and one nothing. These are Firestone HTs and I have LTs on the truck now.

I wanted to keep the front that are on there now (one which has the screw) and put the HTs on the rear. I would be swapping rims and rear tires, but was going to try to keep the fronts exactly the same and in the same place since they handle fine and I not to introduce NVH or other issues. I do not rotate tires on this truck.

I posted before checking. The Firestone TransForce tires I have on there now are ATs and the three on alloys are HTs.

I guess one means all terrain and the other Highway tire, I really don't know but they appear quite similar, so I do not see a problem having them mismatched front to rear, but even though my car has 3 of like tires and one oddball I shy away from have different brands or treadwear on each axle. I guess it doesn't really matter until you have drastic differences or have a computer controlled AWD.

Free flat repair at Discount Tire and some Goodyears as well. It seems like many shops are doing this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back