judging restriction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it said on here that you can't judge a filter's need for replacement by visual inspection. After installing a restriction gauge, I believe it.

anyone care to try?

Can anyone tell how restricted this filter is by looking at it? Care to guess the restriction?
Based on the photos, which give a good indication of what I saw when I looked at it, Who would replace it? Who would run it longer?

I'll post the restriction reading later if there are any takers.
I'll also post the interval.

just for fun.
2006 expedition 5.4v8, if it makes any difference.

Yes would like to see what the results are. Do you know the starting restriction? Or will you use the new one for that?

Too many variables - -

what is the restriction of a new one?
How was restriction measured - - on a bench, or in the factory airbox in the engine compartment?
If on the bench, how many CFM were pulled?

Honestly, saying "This filter pulled 13 inches of mercury" means nothing if it's attached to the air inlet of a 12V92 Detroit Diesel.

Oh, many "plugged" air filters actually flow more than enough air at light load (low part throttle conditions) and really only become a "restriction" at full throttle.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Hold the filter up to the light an tell us what you see.

this is an old pic, just never got around to posting it.
This filter was in service from 7/2/15 to 7/30/16 when this picture was taken.
It was a FRAM purchased from Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Yes would like to see what the results are. Do you know the starting restriction? Or will you use the new one for that?

new filters never show any measurable restriction on my gauge. BUT, mine is a 25" gauge because that is all I could find.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Too many variables - -

what is the restriction of a new one?
How was restriction measured - - on a bench, or in the factory airbox in the engine compartment?
If on the bench, how many CFM were pulled?

Honestly, saying "This filter pulled 13 inches of mercury" means nothing if it's attached to the air inlet of a 12V92 Detroit Diesel.

measured in the airbox because my flow bench was out getting calibrated
smirk.gif

it's not on a Detroit diesel... as stated, its in my expedition.

Oh, many "plugged" air filters actually flow more than enough air at light load (low part throttle conditions) and really only become a "restriction" at full throttle.

I have found this to also be the case.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I won't venture a guess on the exact restriction reading. However, based on member JODs post linked also using a restriction gauge, I'd say your gauge indicates lots of life left in this one.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...K..warning,_GRA

that filter looked terrible yet only read about 8" water ... interesting ..

So is that one vote for "run it longer" based on looks?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meborder
...So is that one vote for "run it longer" based on looks?

As noted using JOD's as reference I say yes. It would help to know how long a time frame it had been used but that aside, yes it is a vote for run it longer.

I have no restriction gauge, so my general rule is change ~36k miles and 'try' not to check/open the air box during that period. IME and IMO, that's a safe time frame though I likely could go longer. And based on a conversation with a Fram filter engineer, I'm one that believes as far as air filters go, they get more efficient with use. The one year/12k recommendation often seen on the box, is more about selling filters than anything else.

I'll add I don't live in a particularly dusty region or I would adjust my FCI accordingly. My .02

The filter was in service for a little more than a year and about 23,000 miles.

Since no one has the stones to put it in writing...
The gauge showed 11 inches H2O and was changed when these pics were taken.

If not for the gauge, I probably would have said it was "barely dirty" and gone for another 10,000 miles. Personally, I wouldn't have thought that it was dirty enough to register.

Interesting, safe to say you're anecdote shows no correlation to JOD's filter restriction gauge anecdote. But, at least I made a stab at it.

As for stones, as I've never owned/used a restriction gauge, no personal point reference to make a guesstimate on a number. But looking at it, obviously I too wouldn't have taken the gauge as calling for a change.

I too use a restriction gauge in my cars and I have seen some air filters that "looked" good but the gauge knew better. I just go by the gauge(or six years) and call it a day.
here is my last 90k miles filter off my S2000, changed due to time not restriction

ROD

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Interesting, safe to say you're anecdote shows no correlation to JOD's filter restriction gauge anecdote. But, at least I made a stab at it.

As for stones, as I've never owned/used a restriction gauge, no personal point reference to make a guesstimate on a number. But looking at it, obviously I too wouldn't have taken the gauge as calling for a change.

Please forgive me if I made you think mu snark was aimed at you, it was not. You are the only one with the stones to play along.

The point was that you simply can't tell by looks. The link you posted looked well past due yet had minimal restriction. Mine looked relatively clean yet indicated enough restriction to change it.

Looking at the filter, though, you can see the pleats are no longer straight. To me, this indicates that the filter was probably getting distorted under high demand operation, as they were perfectly straight upon installation.

I'm glad I did the restriction gauge. More for the learning experience than anything, but it shows me that for my typical conditions, once a year is probably appropriate.

Originally Posted By: meborder

I have found this to also be the case.
That's generally the case at the point the degree of restriction first becomes sufficiently severe to qualify as "plugged."

hallo, about restriction gauge, i just found it in ebay and do you guys all know how to set it up in car? because this things is unusual at my place and maybe i am the pioneer who use the restriction gauge in car to check how good the filter in a period of time.

I think you have to drill a hole in (or around) the airbox.

Maybe someone will tell you where, but you should've started another thread so there is no cross-talk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nyumski
hallo, about restriction gauge, i just found it in ebay and do you guys all know how to set it up in car? because this things is unusual at my place and maybe i am the pioneer who use the restriction gauge in car to check how good the filter in a period of time.

here's how I did mine:

Air Filter Restriction Gauge Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back