Flood & Salvage Vehicles - Avoid or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably have more significant experience with all types of flooded vehicles land and sea.

The biggest problem is that water flooding makes an introduction that you can never undo. Everything becomes far more prone to corrosion, and it just keeps getting worse. You'll see the effects years later, and eventually a problem you can't get out of.

If a salt water flood would ruin all the wheel bearings then why do they not get ruined driving around all winter on salty roads year after year??

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: philipp10
I would guess the majority here have never owned a flood car so how can so many be so sure....

Are you saying a car that has almost been completely submerged won't have problems? You don't have to had owned one to know....really......do you?

Actually yes I am. Cars are made of plastic and metal. They can be dried out and used. Of course some areas are damaged. In my case, I had to replace the main engine computer, the seat belt control module. In addition I pulled the drivers seat out and disassembled the power seat motor (it had rusted). Beyond that, all was well. Many parts of a car are exposed to water pretty much everyday and they survive just fine. I live in Minnesota, it rains or snows here a couple times each week. What's the difference?

I always tell this story.

I have a close friend who picked up two flood damaged 35th anniversary Camaro SSs very cheap with low miles. 3500 bucks a piece at auction.
He took them home, pulled the interior (seats, door panels,and carpet) dried them out, changed all the fluids. They have been excellent cars. The water line on both was up to the middle of the doors. He did have to clean a few connections. They were not under water for long or completely submerged. That was 10 years ago. One is a daily driver, the other is a garage queen. He has not replace any wheel bearings. One of them did require a new starter and he did the brakes. I think you can keep it below the dash like these two you are doing okay. It was worth saving two 35th anniversary SSs.

Salvaged cars can be ok depending on area of damage. My family used to buy wrecked cars, fix them, which would cost us half than buying from the dealer.

However, a flooded car is never a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back