Oil weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gilbertsta
I found a great deal on a bunch of 50w oil.

If it is Schaeffers 5W-50 you can sell it to me. I love running the thicker oil in my Beetle, especially since it has a bad camshaft (and needs the extra thickness for protection). In fact all 2005-06 TDIs have this problem and need a thicker oil.

But to answer your question: Mix Mobil 0W-20 with your 50W-50 oil, and the viscosity modifiers will thin it down to approximately 10W-50 oil. (In other words the topend will not change, but the bottom end will.)

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

But to answer your question: Mix Mobil 0W-20 with your 50W-50 oil, and the viscosity modifiers will thin it down to approximately 10W-50 oil. (In other words the topend will not change, but the bottom end will.)

Amazing. I hadn't realized you had access to CCS and MRV testing equipment, thanks for the share!

Don't feed the troll sir OVERKILL
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Amazing. I hadn't realized you had access to CCS and MRV testing equipment, thanks for the share!

And apparently ISO 4548- testing equipment for researching oil filter efficiencies.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
And apparently ISO 4548- testing equipment for researching oil filter efficiencies.

No I just emailed Purolator, Mobil, and others so I could ASK for their testing results.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

No I just emailed Purolator, Mobil, and others so I could ASK for their testing results.

I find that your statement regarding thinner oil not changing the 50 part pretty interesting in the extreme...whose suggestion was that oils behaved THAT way ?

Did you get efficiency stats from ExxonMobil? If so, what were they?

This was years ago..... so no I don't have the emails from mobil1.com. I remember being surprised M1 filters do not remove dirt as well as standard non-extended drain filters, and then regretted buying a whole box of them.

This was years ago..... so no I don't have the emails from mobil1.com. I remember being surprised M1 filters do not remove dirt as well as standard non-extended drain filters, and then regretted buying a whole box of them.

Well, you got a unique response then.

Okay I called Fram & Mobil whose respective techs told me the Fram Ultra filter is:
99% at 25
98% at 20
50% at 10 (aka nominal)

Mobil only listed 25 microns, which they rate at 97%. So it's worse. (Like I said.) If you don't believe me you could pick-up your phone & call them yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back