Drilling holes in painted galvanized body panels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This job is already done, but I thought I'd throw this out there. Maybe I'll learn something.

I installed some factory Ford molded plastic splash guards on the Crown Vic a few weeks ago. Fit great, work great. The car stays much more clean!

Unfortunately, they required drilling. 2 holes in each steel front fender. I hated it, but I did it.

I chose to paint the drilled holes and liberally applied RTV over the holes and on the screws while assembling. I can only hope that the fender lip won't turn to iron mulch in WI winters!

Not that it matters much anymore (guards are on and I'm not taking them back off), but what are your preferred methods for protecting the sheetmetal in these cases?

I mask the paint and use an etching primer on the bare metal. Just a quick shot will do. Then I use sealant applied directly to the fastener when I install it. That will seal the hole and you should get some squeeze-out under the fastener head.

If I can apply sealant to cover the exposed fastener inside the fender I do that as well. Other wise I just bank on the sealant I applied directly to the fastener threads.

When I took a automotive collision course at the local community college, our instructor(he's also one of the main I-CAR welding advisors for the region) drove the point home about restoring corrosion protection when you create a "hot spot" - if I absolutely have to do it, I'll reach for a wax-based corrosion preventative like what the OEMs used. Epoxy primer would also work, but it's overkill even with SprayMax 2K spray cans and catalysts don't keep well.

In the case of galvanized steel I use cold galvanizing paint that comes in a spray can. For std steel I use Rustoleum's High-Perf Enamel paint.

The cavity in your trunk the spare jack lives in? Rustproof that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back