Is copper brake pipe universal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could probably get some in Taiwan but it'll be a lot easier to find here in the UK (they have it in Halfords for example), so I thought I might take some back, as long as there are no gotcha's re compatibility.

My understanding is that this stuff is effectively universal. A bit of Googling suggests there is Imperial and metric pipe but the size difference is so small they are interchangeable.

Car is a 1986 Daihatsu Skywing. Pipes look OK externally but when I rebuilt the wheel cylinders and calipers they were full of rusty sludge. Since there wasn't much local corrosion it seems likely this came from inside the pipes.

Yes it is universal for normal diameter brake lines, the fittings must mach MM or SAE. Yours probably uses 3/16, make sure its copper/nickel not just copper.

Edit: Make sure you get the correct flaring tool and fittings, I suspect this one uses 10mm x 1.0 thread DIN/ISO bubble flares.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes it is universal for normal diameter brake lines, the fittings must mach MM or SAE. Yours probably uses 3/16, make sure its copper/nickel not just copper.

Edit: Make sure you get the correct flaring tool and fittings, I suspect this one uses 10mm x 1.0 thread DIN/ISO bubble flares.

That pretty much covers it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back