Should you buy a Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a point to this or just Trolling?

I'm pretty sure I could find a variety of similar videos/issues whatever for many different vehicles.

Subaru's oil burning or HG issues come to mind off to top of my head.

They are on the low end of the reliability ratings but people like them.

crackmeup2.gif

Loved the video!Very cool way to do it...

I would call this more humor than anything, but I would be lying if I did not know more than a few people who have had problems with their Jeeps.

And, those who are more than happy with them......

Originally Posted By: Rand

I'm pretty sure I could find a variety of similar videos/issues whatever for many different vehicles.

Thinking the point is that it was funny....
wink.gif

Might be in the wrong section though....

If you follow Teg Sethi's adventure he's as upset at the dealer as he is about the Jeep. He returned to the dealer on a regular basis and fulfilled all the requirements for the down under version of the lemon law and they told him to go stuff it.

Fiat is fortunate in that most Jeep owners are still very loyal to the Jeep brand. People continue to buy new ones and evidently are not bothered too much by Fiat sticking the Jeep badge on a lot of other vehicles that a traditional Jeep owner from the past would not recognize. No matter what the problems might be if any, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is at least good looking.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you follow Teg Sethi's adventure he's as upset at the dealer as he is about the Jeep. He returned to the dealer on a regular basis and fulfilled all the requirements for the down under version of the lemon law and they told him to go stuff it.

Unfortunately, I think this characterizes many owners who are unhappy with their vehicles -- it's more about the actual treatment by the dealer and the corporation than the vehicle itself. My folks did have a 2005 WK they Lemon Law'd back to Chrysler. They Jeep dealers they visited WERE good, and did keep fixing the problem. The problem kept returning, and it seemed to be something particular to their specific VIN that was never going to be right. Unfortunately, they really got the treatment from Chrysler, who made it a miserable experience. To be fair, I'm not sure using the Lemon Law is ever fun, for anyone.

Originally Posted By: Rand

This is the humor forum. He's joking. Geez

Buying a Grand Cherokee makes one a dippy-doo...' has been well established for years.

Spend time on research at the front end rather than plotting and producing a revenge video.

And I'm not taking this too seriously. EVERYBODY knows G.C.'s are garbage.

A car company SHOULD make better products and/or back 'em up but this guy is just a squawking consumer, sorry. Kira

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
funny video but it is COMMON KNOWLEDGE that the Jeep Grand Caravan is a heaping piece of trash

LOL didn't know Jeep made Grand Caravans.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
funny video but it is COMMON KNOWLEDGE that the Jeep Grand Caravan is a heaping piece of trash

LOL didn't know Jeep made Grand Caravans.

facepalm.....you got me

I own a Jeep, and I love it, but it seems anything after the era of the 4.0 engine can be a bit more troublesome.

Jeeps as a brand are hit and miss. Some are excellent and go 250k with no issues, others can barely drive off the lot without problems. Like anything, the older (and simpler) the better.

It's been decades since Jeep existed as an independent marque.
It's been no more than a brand of first AMC and later Chrysler for decades.
The classic inline six models always drove like real Jeeps and were quite pleasant to drive. I liked these things although I never bought one.
Many of the later models have no Jeep DNA in them, like those built on a cheap Chrysler FWD platform.
My take on this is that if you enjoy driving the Wrangler or Unlimited, then buy and use one. You won't likely have new Honda Accord durability/reliability but you'll have a pretty dependable if thirsty ride for daily use.
These Jeeps are no worse than any other FCA product.

The newer ones besides maybe the SRT Grand Cherokee don't do much for me. The Wranglers are not really Wranglers anymore. When you think of Wrangler you think of a bare bones off road machine. The newer ones have as much technology and gadgets as the average car. Many of the offroaders even prefer the older Jeeps because of their simplicity, since they are easy to fix should something break far from home.

I'd have a hard time giving up so much money for something that might not measure up reliability-wise to what I already have.

You knew you can order a bare-bones Wrangler, right? You can get them with steelies if you want. Solid axles, manual transmissions. Doors still come off and aren't much more than skins. That's pretty bare-bones, unless you consider fuel injection and power steering to be "technology and gadgets."

Even if you bought a fully loaded Wrangler and your infotainment or backup cam broke "out on the trail," (it won't) are you really going to have to fix it before getting home? Aren't those features nice when you have to drive your Jeep like a normal car?

It has also demonstrated that the "Trail Rated" Grand Cherokee is quite capable off-road as well; all you need are some decent tires.

If you look at Lemon Productions comments, something is fishy. Someone will comment, get 60 thumbs up. Then Lemon Productions comments in response 10 spots below and the Lemon Productions response gets gets 300 thumbs up. This goes on and on. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of thumbs up if it is disparaging toward FCA. Such a comment could be a week old and it'll have 300 thumbs up. Particularly if it was posted by Lemon Productions. The amount of thumbs up on YouTube for such a video generally do not rack up so quickly. I pointed this out on a comment for this video over a year ago and my comment was flagged. Lemon Productions also loves to push his Facebook page. I'm not saying his gripes aren't legit, but his means to boost video popularity seem rather obvious. Not to mention when I saw this video the first time, I watched it 10 minutes later and it had almost 15,000 views more. Its as if they have some sort of software to constantly play this video to boost number of views.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Buying a Grand Cherokee makes one a dippy-doo...' has been well established for years.

Spend time on research at the front end rather than plotting and producing a revenge video.

And I'm not taking this too seriously. EVERYBODY knows G.C.'s are garbage.

A car company SHOULD make better products and/or back 'em up but this guy is just a squawking consumer, sorry. Kira

Really? Because the present generation shares a platform with the Mercedes ML (and the Durango) and has absolutely nothing in common with previous generations. But hey, everybody is entitled to their (often uninformed) opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back