Toyota techstream and misfire counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a year ago my 02 camry 2.4 4 cyl blew an ignition coil. It had a hiccup transitioning from decel to accel, then finally one day completely conked out, flashing CEL, the whole nine yards.

It's doing it again, the first part, hurky jerky. I plugged in techstream and (cold) idled for a few minutes. Zero misfires on all cylinders. No pending codes.

My techstream is on a desktop computer in my garage and doesn't travel well. THere are resource conflicts with my laptop and the USB dongle.

Does the car "forget" misfires when keyed off? Do I need to go for a 30 mile drive, then pull into my garage and boot up the computer with the car still running? How does the dealer chase down mild misses?

I keep a spare coil in my glovebox. The modern-day ballast resistor, always have a spare.
wink.gif

Honestly, I know, you know way better than me and I definitely feel like an idiot by giving you a suggestion.

But in my experience, for some of these old japanese cars, removing the negative terminal for a few mins and then hooking it back can do wonders. Usually code kicks back in either immediately or during the first drive. CEL would come back if there's a misfire detected by the ECU.

Please make sure if radio is an OEM, there's a code for it.

Good Luck.

I would pull the spark plugs and look for any oddities. One plug may look slightly different than the others which will clue you in to the offending cylinder.

If the misfire doesn't tick the counter enough times.....The misfire count will erase in so many misfire monitor cycles while it's running & will clear the last cycle when the key is turned off.

It usually has to be a constant miss for the misfire history counters to read.

I still scope primary & secondary ignition in situations like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back