When it rains, it pours

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the rust is really that bad, break loose and thread them part way out then blow the debris out of the recess with compressed air before taking the plugs out. No worries. Yes, these machines are precision pieces, but one can be too cautious - them old plugs ain't helping the rest of the engine by staying in there.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Quote:
- Sister's 2005 Grand Caravan throwing a misfire code and showing the oil pressure warning light. I cleared the misfire code which hasn't returned yet but it's due for a tune-up which probably isn't helping. Do I want to volunteer to replace the 100k sparkplugs in a V6 minivan? Not really. At least a $12 pressure sensor got rid of the oil warning light which is a known issue on these vans.

The sparkplugs are relatively easy. The trick is to remove the wiper module, something like 4 bolts. You will need a new gasket for the upper intake manifold plenum. You will have to remove the injectors, they can be removed as a unit, it's easier then it looks. While it's apart, check the valve cover gaskets, odds are they are leaking, all the previous removes are needed for the VC's. Gaskets are expensive but will have to be done sooner or later. Might as well do them now.

Good luck.

Am I reading this right? You're advising to remove the upper intake and the injectors to replace the spark plugs? If so, that's totally unnecessary. I will say that it makes it easier, especially if you didn't eat your Wheaties as the angles that you sometimes have to work at can put you at a leverage disadvantage. But still not needed to remove the rear three plugs.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
If it's the 3.3/3.8, plugs really aren't that bad. The manual says to pull the exhaust off, yada yada, but it's no big chore to get to them from the top if you can stretch that far. I've done several sets in 45 mins. or less.

I'm not a minivan person but I respect the V6 Grand Caravans - generally a durable vehicle that isn't overly hard to work on.

I agree about the plugs. Not too much trouble, and I see no reason to take the exhaust off. Granted, the plugs are not easy as doing a 4 cylinder car, but it wasn't excessive to me.

I like the Caravan as well. I think they are a real bargain when purchased used. While you end up having to replace parts from time to time, the parts can be purchased fairly cheap online.

I hear on having multiple issues going on at once....even new stuff isn't immune. I just took the LR3 to the shop for a new alternator and the new Cherokee's exhaust is rattling. The Liberty has an odd pop every now and then from the front end (even though it's all new stuff) and the old Cherokee needs a new door check pin and the floors fixed. Never ends!

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I hear on having multiple issues going on at once....even new stuff isn't immune. I just took the LR3 to the shop for a new alternator and the new Cherokee's exhaust is rattling. The Liberty has an odd pop every now and then from the front end (even though it's all new stuff) and the old Cherokee needs a new door check pin and the floors fixed. Never ends!

I just did the door check pin on my XJ. Pretty easy DIY and MUCH quieter now.
thumbsup2.gif
Luckily my floors don't have rust yet.

I just keep forgetting to do it. I have to replace the bracket since that's egged out. Did you have to do that?

I just keep forgetting to do it. I have to replace the bracket since that's egged out. Did you have to do that?

I ended up replacing everything. The check pin, bracket, and the arm that is on the door. The arm actually got egged out somehow in addition to the bracket.

I'm not sure if the arm is egged out on mine, I'll have to double check that. Thanks! Where'd you order the stuff from? I'm going to get stuff from Quadratec.

I'm not sure if the arm is egged out on mine, I'll have to double check that. Thanks! Where'd you order the stuff from? I'm going to get stuff from Quadratec.

That is where I ordered mine. I've always been pleased with Quadratec. I ended up doing both the driver and passenger sides since the passenger side was beginning to have play as well. It was a pretty simple fix.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
- Dad's 2005 Caravan is throwing a low EVAP pressure code. Dealer wants $1K+ to replace the gas tank(!) and all EVAP components because according to them, "it all comes together". Checking every rubber house coupling in the EVAP system for cracks found nothing, but two zip ties on two not-very-snug hoses on the EVAP canister and a new gas cap seems to have fixed it... so far.

10 days later and the zip ties and new gas cap seem to have fixed it. I just need to plug in the scanner and see if there are any pending codes.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
- Beyond the basics (vacuum leaks, torn intake hose), another known issue is the MAF sensor. Some report them failing on this generation Corolla after only 60k-70k miles (hers has 103k), and cleaning it is just a band-aid which sometimes makes it worse. Hello Amazon and a new Denso MAF on the way just to replace it outright and forget about it. We'll see if it helps.

The new MAF sensor has been installed and it's improved things a bit but I'm not quite sure it's a smoking gun. It starts easier both hot and cold and idle is smoother. It's too early to tell if mileage has been affected or if it'll help the pinging she would get every now and then. The CEL hasn't returned (yet) but it's certainly a good start.

Years ago I was getting sick of dealing with my parents car issues. So I got them to trade their Blazer and Cavalier for a used Accord and a CRV. For the past 5-6 years I haven't had to do anything except some trans fluid changes and brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back