Quality ratchet wrenches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a SAE and metric set of craftman ratcheting wrenches that were made in USA. Not only have they been tough as nails but they have also made some very difficult jobs MUCH easier. One of my absolute favorite tools. These have one ratcheting end and one open end, no flex head but the handle is angled up enough to allow for knuckle clearance or to reach tough spots. The ratchet mechanism has a switch to change direction.

With all the Chinese tools flooding the market these days, wheres the best place or best brand to look at for replacements if/when these break or wear out? This topic came to mind while pulling the x-pipe out of my mustang earlier and had to double-wrench up on the 18mm ratchet wrench to get the outboard passenger side downpipe nut off the stud. Still impressed the studs didn't seize to the nuts... Either I remembered to antiseize them during install years ago or kroil is just that good...

I have a lot of Snap-On tools, and have recently bought some Harbor Freight items as back-ups to have in a "cheapy" tool box.

I ended up using those HF tools on some unexpected jobs and beat the [censored] out if them. The ratcheting wrenches come in a nice set and have held up exceptionally well. They seem to have a precise feel as well. More than once I thought I had an expensive Snap-On in my hand and it turned out to be a HF. I've seen coupons where the set is $17.99.

I used their breaker bar with two (yes 2!) pipes on it. It bent so far I swore it was gonna snap but it took it.

I really like the Kobalt tools they sell at Lowes. Has a lifetime warranty and when the sets go on sale they are very well priced.

Tools come with lifetime warranties. You should never buy a tool with the intent to replace it "later on".

If your USA Craftsman wrenches fail, why wouldn't you warranty them?

The plastic bodied ones at harbor freight are great! Mine is my go to ratchet instead of my snap on. They cost about $12 and are made in taiwan.

The duralast ones at autozone are very good to.
..sorry I saw ratchet and not ratchet wrench

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Tools come with lifetime warranties. You should never buy a tool with the intent to replace it "later on".

Extremely unimpressed with feel of the newer craftsmen wrenches. Sure I would claim the warranty if they fail but I'm curious about others which might work nicer. One of the best things about these wrenches is the mirco-ratchet, IIRC they were advertised as needing only 5 degrees to actuate.

Originally Posted By: buck91
With all the Chinese tools flooding the market these days, wheres the best place or best brand to look at for replacements if/when these break or wear out?

Snap-on. They make their own in Elizabethton Tennessee.

If you're going to get GearWrench ratcheting wrenches, you might as well go to Harbor Freight. Same warranty, quality and COO.

As far as a decent US made replacement, I would go with SK X frames personally.

I have a set of metric HF ratcheting wrenches for a few years now. They've taken a hammer beating and still keep on going. I'm also a weekend mechanic/hobbyist and not a pro who needs to use them everyday, so HF will do for these.

I do wish someone would come out with extended reach (long) ratcheting wrenches, but I understand they aren't meant to be torqued on. Be nice for those hard to reach spots tho.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

It's unclear as to if B&D will honor the warranty. Otherwise I suspect that the OP is worrying over nothing. If they were mine I would see if there is a fix before trying to replace them.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If you're going to get GearWrench ratcheting wrenches, you might as well go to Harbor Freight. Same warranty, quality and COO.

Those certainly do look nice, but I find the slightly angled head is very useful on these craftsman wrenches as it allows the handle to clear obstructions.

Check out Dewalt for basic rat wrenches... good quality and VERY slim box-end. That's what I got, but I don't use rat wrenches much anyway. Only down-side they don't offer any choices to flex, reversible, offset, stubby, etc... Our older Taiwan GWs were very nice, but the newer ones made in China are too fat.

I'd buy Proto, SO in a heartbeat... but I use them so rarely to justify the expense.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Thanks for posting about the SK X Frames, I haven't seen them before but they look good and priced right. Tool Discounter is $202 inc shipping but this is a better picture of them.

http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/80019-sk-x-frame-metric-ratcheting-wrench-set.html

I have been using MATCO 90 tooth reversible ratchet wrenches professionally for about 1 year now. Fantastic wrenches, made in taiwan by Kabo. Besides for the brand new Snap on reversible ratchet wrenches , these are absolutely fantastic.

The brand I really like is Facom.

I just totally spoiled myself with a new Facom SXL 171 extendable 72 tooth flex head ratchet kit in the super cool "detection box" that lets you see if all the contents of the box are there with it closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJJhM6uFoA

Ive got a set of snap-on that are great. Someone gave me a set of HD husky full-polished wrenches as a gift a few years back. As a low-cost, foreign made option, Id say they are pretty nicely made.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Are they made in France?

Some of them still are, I understand its now a stanley brand.

I hope they dont stop the innovation and quality. To me Snap ons only true competitor is Facom.

Ive got 2 smaller 1/4 sets from them that are about 25 years old now get used multiple times a week - and still phenomenal - even the plastic cases held up great.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back