A great article on BEER

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all those who like beer and what goes into and behind it's production, check out this article. Aside from the all the information and attitude it shows, I'm proud that it is my son's brewery and talents they talk about.
Freshly Tapped: Talking Backwards

ocelot-brewing-26_31714466934_o-768x513.jpg

Reading through it , interesting. But why would anyone want a beer at 11% ABV?? Beer is supposed to be a drink you can have a few of without falling over. 3-5% ABV.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Reading through it , interesting. But why would anyone want a beer at 11% ABV?? Beer is supposed to be a drink you can have a few of without falling over. 3-5% ABV.

if you where a viking/sailor pulling trough cold Atlantic water, what would you want?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

if you where a viking/sailor pulling trough cold Atlantic water, what would you want?

Rum.Not beer.

It is about flavor, not quantity. He makes different styles from about 5.5% to 12.5%

why would anyone want a beer at 11% ABV?? Beer is supposed to be a drink you can have a few of without falling over.

That's still weak compared to wine, and people drink several glasses of that.

Who wouldn't want an imperial stout or barleywine or etc. Just because the big brewers brew weak tasteless beer doesn't mean that's what beer is suppose to be.

Beer is supposed to be a drink you can have a few of without falling over. 3-5% ABV.

There already is plenty of this made by all major macro breweries. I'm glad micro breweries offer some viable alternatives to [censored].
smile.gif

It's the beer to have when you're only having 1 or 2.
I don't drink any longer(HBP) but if I did, I would like to have tried it.
I used to enjoy a nice porter...mmmmm!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It's the beer to have when you're only having 1 or 2.
I don't drink any longer(HBP) but if I did, I would like to have tried it.
I used to enjoy a nice porter...mmmmm!

Em, drinking beer M-O-D-E-R-A-T-E-L-Y is one of the best things you can do...

Drinking excessively is one of the worst...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Beer is supposed to be a drink you can have a few of without falling over. 3-5% ABV.

There already is plenty of this made by all major macro breweries. I'm glad micro breweries offer some viable alternatives to [censored].
smile.gif

There's also plenty of microbrews (maybe stretching the term) that offer beers and ales in the 4%-7% range. Sierra Nevada's main Pale Ale is 5.6% I think and most Hefeweizens are around 5%. Still plenty of good quality beers that are about the same as the macro "adjunct American lagers" in ABV...

I came across a very nice 5.3% alc beer recently, Thunderlips by Columbus Brewing, $9.99/6 pack.
thumbsup2.gif

Cheap Date by Arcadia is only 4.5% and not too bad. I like the above one better.

Originally Posted By: widman
It is about flavor, not quantity. He makes different styles from about 5.5% to 12.5%

Yes it is. I don't drink beer for the alcohol content, I drink it for the flavor and quality.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
why would anyone want a beer at 11% ABV?? Beer is supposed to be a drink you can have a few of without falling over.

That's still weak compared to wine, and people drink several glasses of that.

Yes, however, a "glass" of wine is only 4 or 5 ounces, so 3-4 glasses of wine equals one pint or 2-3 glasses equals a 12oz can/bottle. This does a couple things, gives the illusion you drank more, by the glass at least, and also takes more time to drink, slowing the effect of the alcohol.

A traditional beer is in the 4-6% ABV is called in the Uk a 'session beer'. You can drink several with your buddies with out falling down drunk.

Originally Posted By: steveh
I had many great tasting craft beers in the 8-10% range.

Have you ever had a bad 8-10% beer?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

smile.gif

I have. There are some rather boring attempts using pedestrian internet recipes by local breweries masquerading as some new groundbreaking brew. Just because it's a craft brew doesn't make it good and a lot of recipes are basic and readily available. Some breweries resort to gimmicks and are just making [censored]. I don't really want the Oreo-oatmeal-double fudge chocolate-raisin-sugar cookie house stout, FFS..

I rarely drink a beer under 8%ABV styles I drink are prone for higher alcohol content Barleywine & DIPA to name two will I drink others sure I will as I like many if not all types but gravitate to higher ABV.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

smile.gif

I have. There are some rather boring attempts using pedestrian internet recipes by local breweries masquerading as some new groundbreaking brew. Just because it's a craft brew doesn't make it good and a lot of recipes are basic and readily available. Some breweries resort to gimmicks and are just making [censored]. I don't really want the Oreo-oatmeal-double fudge chocolate-raisin-sugar cookie house stout, FFS..

+1

We have come a long way in the last 20 years (in North America) from the bland generic gnats urine that was sold pretty well universally.
Today, thanks to micro breweries, we once again have choice what we drink.

Sure a lot of it is gimmicky, that will die out. There are so many differant GOOD recipes in the world, and variations that can be made upon them. We could well be heading for the Golden age of beer.

35 years ago in the UK I joined a group Campaign For Real Ale (CAMRA) to help support the few surviving small beweries from being swallowed up by the giants of this world.
I am so pleased what we started worked beyond what anybody expected! Not only did small breweries survive, the big berweries realized people wanted something other than Coors light and Lucky Larger, AND now we have micro breweries offering beers that rival wine in terms of variety of flavours. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back