Valvoline(?) 0W-20 in 2003 Civic Hybrid 34000 mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is Valvoline or not, because it was a car purchased from a dealer. Who knows what he put in there? BLACKSTONE LABS WRITES: "Wear levels are right where they should be, and that's a good sign the internal parts are healthy and wearing well. The TAN read 2.2 and the TBN at 5.1 shows plenty of active additive left in the oil. The trace of fuel is harmless, and the high sodium is just detergent/dispersant additive, not coolant. This sample looks good from here -- nice engine!"

Oil Age == 4006 miles
Makeup Oil == 0
3 aluminum
0 chromium
7 iron
4 copper
1 lead
2 moly
0 tin, nickel, manganese, silver, titanium, potassium, barium
2 boron
12 silicon
412 sodium
2166 calcium
15 magnesium
762 phosphorus
831 zinc

53.2 SUS viscosity at 210F
8.23 cSt viscosity at 212F
385F for flashpoint
trace of fuel
0% of antifreeze, water, insolubles
5.1 TBN
2.2 TAN

That does look like Valvoline. Not very many brands use sodium.
There are a lot of smaller blenders out there that might (not likely) be using the sodium-based formula Valvoline is famous for though.
The calcium amount does match up with Valvoline too.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

5.1 TBN
2.2 TAN

Wow. This is wow. Oil needed to be changed at 3k miles. I don't remember when I saw so significant oil acidity. Rule of thumb: change oil when TBN drops below TAN (or when TAN raised above TBN, which is same).

Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

5.1 TBN
2.2 TAN

Wow. This is wow. Oil needed to be changed at 3k miles. I don't remember when I saw so significant oil acidity. Rule of thumb: change oil when TBN drops below TAN (or when TAN raised above TBN, which is same).

?? Last time I checked a 5.1 TBN is greater than a 2.2 TAN, so he should have went longer, not shorter.

It does look just like Synpower or Durablend to me, or Maxlife but I doubt that was in a 34k vehicle.

Looks fine - you can go longer 6-7k should be easy, just keep it topped off. I go over 8k w the 0W-20 in my Dart (OLM OCI) and Tig goes 10k on 0W-20 M1 in his Fords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back