Lexus LS430?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents are on the waitlist for the Tesla Model 3(which they still might get to replace their Sienna if I follow through on buying a truck or SUV later on), a 2005 Lexus LS430 with just a tick below 50K crossed their eyes - it was a 1-owner trade in at a Land Rover dealer for an Evoque and the Carfax shows that it was serviced at a Big O shop and the Lexus dealer 50 miles from me. They've made an appointment to look at the car, I talked to the sales rep at the dealership.

It seems like a cream puff of a car - 2005, less than 50K on it and decently maintained. Anything I need to be aware of? I drive a 1st generation LS400, so I'm keen with the powertrain on these. Of course I'll tell my parents to nag a little, having worked at a dealership we put cheap tires and did rudimentary maintenance, I plan on replacing all the fluids, filters, a look-see of the bushings, rear CV boots, timing belt and if I see Milestar/Prime Well/Sunny/Sailun tires, a trip to Costco or America's Tire for 4 new Michelins or Continentals.

Asking $17K, I'm sure we can haggle - the sales rep hasn't sent me pictures of the car until it's left the service department for a smog and inspection and made a visit to detail for "reconditioning". I assume the car doesn't have navigation(can't get map updates for the Toyota Gen 4 DVD system anymore), Mark Levinson sound, air suspension or the rear seat luxury package.

Since they just received it in they may be less likely to deal that much. On the surface it sounds like a nice car. Another option is an 05 or so Avalon for a lot less. Prob less to maintain down the road as well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Since they just received it in they may be less likely to deal that much. On the surface it sounds like a nice car. Another option is an 05 or so Avalon for a lot less. Prob less to maintain down the road as well.

They want the circle-L on the grille. I tried steering them towards a Camry.

Originally Posted By: nthach

I can't blame them, once you go L/M/A/B/A, there's no T/H/N/F/C etc...
wink.gif

I personally think price is a bit high, but I am too cheap. Though it's a gorgeous and powerful vehicle!

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Checked Rockauto for air shocks for the 430LS, they don't stock them so Dan55 is onto something.

Dealer only. Many guys on ClubLexus tried converting over to regular coilovers from Arnott with disastrous results on the 1st-2nd gen cars.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

I can't blame them, once you go L/M/A/B/A, there's no T/H/N/F/C etc...
wink.gif

I personally think price is a bit high, but I am too cheap. Though it's a gorgeous and powerful vehicle!

Good luck.

Well, they are "upgrading" from a Prius - which will more than likely become mine.

Camry is junk, a RWD 400 or 430 is a dang good car. I hate lex es 300. Gave my father agita. 13500 sound like a good number with 100K bumper to bumper warranty. Bet they wont do that. Too old.
Now that I think about it cars have limited utility. If I had one it would have to be a cuv or microvan or big hatch/wagon.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Now that I think about it cars have limited utility. If I had one it would have to be a cuv or microvan or big hatch/wagon.

My dad seemed to agree with my rationale of buying a truck or SUV and parking it at their house and letting them drive it when they need to go somewhere far or with more than 4 people - the range anxiety with the future Tesla purchase is a valid point, and I would drive it mostly in the winter time for trips up to Tahoe or if I need to help friends move. It's too early for me to plan for this, but as tempting as an F150 Ecoboost 4X4 would be, something like a Tacoma or (new) Colorado would be more sensible.

Their neighbor used to have a Pilot - but they now have a Forester and a Frontier that's used for hauling stuff.

It has nothing to do with the circle L - the Camry (and for that matter, the Avalon) and the LS 430 are as different as can be. FWD standard sedan vs. a big RWD luxury car.

Just curious: What does it matter to you what your parents drive?

If they can buy a nice luxury car, then why not?

My MIL bought an Avalon three years ago. My wife tried to talk her out of it. MIL was 89 at the time, and her Camry was six years old with 39,000 miles on it. The proverbial "little old lady drove it to church on Sunday" car.

But she wanted a new car. And she wrote a check for that Avalon.

It's a nicer car than the Camry by far, but it still falls short of the Lexus.

The key question for my wife: help her get a good deal? Or get in a argument, try and talk her out of it? In the latter case, my MIL would STILL have a new car, but would be upset with my wife, and would probably have paid too much.

Last edited:
My reasoning was that they wanted something nice, with a decent operating cost - but they are in their 60s and do they need something that flashy - even though the pre-spindle grille generation of Lexus blended in compared to say, a Mercedes or BMW.

My goal was to keep them away from a used-car lot - my dad only wants a one-owner car. The ones I've seen at the lots were cycled through Mannheim or ADESA a few times.

My reasoning was that they wanted something nice, with a decent operating cost - but they are in their 60s and do they need something that flashy - even though the pre-spindle grille generation of Lexus blended in compared to say, a Mercedes or BMW.

My goal was to keep them away from a used-car lot - my dad only wants a one-owner car. The ones I've seen at the lots were cycled through Mannheim or ADESA a few times.

I think it's great that you're steering them clear of particular cars that aren't good examples, but you should be careful of trying to define their choice in brand/model...that'll only lead to trouble...

Unless they truly can't afford it, let them buy what they like, regardless of how you feel about it...it's their car, so it should be their choice.

Besides, it's a parent's prerogative to embarrass their children, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back