Death of the Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice video, thanks!
The MDS. On my then new 2009 RT. Challenger soiled the experience for me.
I equated it with turbo lag. Yes the mpg was nice but I could have done without the hesitation.

Got mine!!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I equated it with turbo lag. Yes the mpg was nice but I could have done without the hesitation.

Is it still that bad on the newest ones?

The video wouldn't load for me.

I've never driven an earlier Hemi, but my father has a 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7L with 90k miles. It goes into eco mode quite a lot judging by the dash light, and I never feel a hesitation when driving it.

I have heard from a co-worker who owns an earlier Hemi in a Dodge 1500 that the MDS is noticeable. Isn't there a way to program this out?

I bought a new 2003 Dodge Ram Single cab SPORT with the Hemi. When i bought mine it was one of the first ones in the state. That weekend went straight to the muffler shop and had it dumped with flowmaster. My goodness was it loud. I loved it. All blacked out and loud.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You cant even percieve it, if someone bought one and didnt know it had MDS, I doubt they would know.

When I bought my overland I thought it would be a drawback from all the internet experts who dont own one commenting on it.

I would guess from comments on the Jeep board the new mild hybrid (start/stop at lights) on the 3.6 is more of a PITA than the MDS operation on the Hemi.

Good question. My experience ended with the 2009.
Haven't drove another since.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Nice video, thanks!
This is one of the reasons why I didn't buy a new Challenger RT in 2013. I went to the dealer with the intention of buying one but after the test drive, the hesitation of the MDS system turned me off. It felt like the engine was missing every time it activated. I went and bought my 2014 Mustang GT instead. I still would like to own a Challenger Scat Pack Shaker as they look bad [censored].

I did drive a new 2015 Challenger RT where I could not feel the MDS working so they may have made the system more seamless.

I know one thing, if they kill off the V8's in these American muscle cars, I will not be buying one in the future.

ahh, on allpar an insider indicated the hemis are good thru 2021 in the Grand Cherokees, plus they will still be made for Trucks and upcoming Wagoneers.

so this info is wrong.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The video wouldn't load for me.

I've never driven an earlier Hemi, but my father has a 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7L with 90k miles. It goes into eco mode quite a lot judging by the dash light, and I never feel a hesitation when driving it.

I have heard from a co-worker who owns an earlier Hemi in a Dodge 1500 that the MDS is noticeable. Isn't there a way to program this out?

When I replaced my muffler from stock to a flowmaster 50 HD I notice it at 1400 rpms. The way I keep it disengaged is either tow haul mode or toggle down the TRS switch on column shift to 6 speed on evic and it eliminates the MDS mode.

I just deal with it. If I notice it on and off a lot ... I just push the TRS on the could shift. Because it can get annoying. I just either speed up or slow down to get away from 1,400rpms

Sounds like Chrysler MDS is very similar to GMs AFM - some report it is seamless and some report very different results.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Sounds like Chrysler MDS is very similar to GMs AFM - some report it is seamless and some report very different results.

We own GM V8's with AFM and have never been able to tell when it is engaged except for the extreme throttle recalibration that occurs when you halve the displacement. Just a bit of intake moan is all we get.

Our 2014 RAM is absolutely perfect, you never feel a thing.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

We own GM V8's with AFM and have never been able to tell when it is engaged except for the extreme throttle recalibration that occurs when you halve the displacement. Just a bit of intake moan is all we get.

Our 2014 RAM is absolutely perfect, you never feel a thing.

I guess between '12 and '14 they worked out the kinks in the smooth-ness.

Great post, thanks for the information....

Originally Posted By: wtd
Nice video, thanks!
This is one of the reasons why I didn't buy a new Challenger RT in 2013. I went to the dealer with the intention of buying one but after the test drive, the hesitation of the MDS system turned me off. It felt like the engine was missing every time it activated. I went and bought my 2014 Mustang GT instead. I still would like to own a Challenger Scat Pack Shaker as they look bad [censored].

I did drive a new 2015 Challenger RT where I could not feel the MDS working so they may have made the system more seamless.

I know one thing, if they kill off the V8's in these American muscle cars, I will not be buying one in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back