How to cook veggies to retain nutrients?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Veggies really don't have many nutrients. Eat meat and fat to stay healthy. Or eggs. Eat veggies because you like the taste, but stay away from the starchy ones - potatoes, beans - only in moderation. Check out zerocarbzen for more info.

Sounds like the Atkins diet. Heart attack central. You won't find many antioxidants in meats. The most powerful ones are found in veggies and fruits (cruciferous and colorful veggies, green leafy veggies, garlic/onions, spices, berries, citrus, etc.). If you're not getting these, you can figure your immune system is in the toilet.

Beans are one of the best foods for you....kidney, navy, white, black, kidney, etc. Very high in nutrients, fiber, good quality protein. Toss in some Quinoa and tomato sauce for more nutrients and protein. Sweet potatoes are an excellent food too...I often mix them in my with bean soups. If you're going to load up on fat at least do it with dense nutrient foods like almonds, walnuts, flax seeds/meal, avocado's, natural oil from ocean fish, etc. Go lightly on the liquid oils, butter, sour cream, dairy, etc.

Meats? They're loaded with Oxidants, not to potential all the chemicals we inject into them before they reach the supermarts. You need the veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. to keep stuff under control. If you want meat, at least try to eat the grass fed, ocean farmed stuff that isn't loaded with hormones, chemicals and contaminants.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Here is a CNN article on the subject:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/21/health/upwave-microwaving-food/

Here is a NY times article on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html

Here is webmd:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/doees-reheating-leftovers-kill-vitamins

All 3 articles claim microwave can actually be healthier than other methods.
The claim that microwave destroys nutritional value is urban myth. Fast cooking and lowest heat will have least damage. That goes for all forms of cooking. Overcooking can reduce nutritional value, especially high heat.

I would not trust any natural/green/new-age mumbo jumbo websites making far off claims.

If radiation is used to kill cancer cells, why wouldn't it destroy the food nutrients as well?

Ed

Eat them raw wherever possible.

I steam broccoli (3 min) since ive read that it digests better slightly cooked. Get a dehydrator, learn about using it to create raw foods that are not depleted of nutrients from any type of conventional cooking. My understanding is that once you heat past 118 deg you've killed it. Demand organic!...unless you like pesticides
smile.gif

microwaves should be used for one thing only: practicing your sledgehammer swing.

If you wanna see some truth about plant based vs otherwise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIVxlYn74uU

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
It's nice to cook something but usually I just make green shakes. Giant fist full spinach. 1 banana. some juice. blend. Drink with my red meat and potatoes. Get way more out of a plant when you blend it vs chewing.
Cattle eats grass so Beef is a vegetable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Slightly OT, but can someone recommend a good steamer? Amazon is full of them, but I'm not sure I trust some of those reviews...

All you need is a steamer basket.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

If radiation is used to kill cancer cells, why wouldn't it destroy the food nutrients as well?

Ed

Radiotherapy is high energy ionising radiation...from either radioactive sources, or X-Ray type machines.

Different things entirely.

Although I'm not advocating microwaving everything, but there's places for it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

Ed

Radiotherapy is high energy ionising radiation...from either radioactive sources, or X-Ray type machines.

Different things entirely.

Although I'm not advocating microwaving everything, but there's places for it.

+1

They are not even close to the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: CT8
Cattle eats grass so Beef is a vegetable.

Bingo! And coffee or tea counts as one serving of vegetables, too.
wink.gif

I also count onion rings as a vegetable, and carrot cake! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back