Ratios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a couple Gumout All In One bottles at Menards during their 11% rebate thing the other day was planning on dropping one in the F150 and one in the explorer. Now, I'm not sold they will provide much benefit or anything especially since I use top tier gas 99% of the time but regardless...

Anyways, reading the bottles they say each one "treats up to 35 gallons." Now, my truck is a 36gal tank so definitely at the top end of that number. Would it be best to short-fill it so the concentration is higher? I was thinking maybe shooting for half a tank. Or does it not really matter as the longer exposure of mixing it through an entire tank offer greater benefit?

This is just PM and due to a sale. I'm not trying to fix any existing problems...

I would partial fill just to keep concentration within spec of instructions. Add the product and fill till 3/4 full and run as empty as possible.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Fill her up. 1 gallon won't throw off the cleaning effect.

No, clearly not. But my question for the hivemind is really more whether it should offer better cleaning power at a higher concentration for less duration (half fill) or lower concentration for longer duration (full fill at max end of dilution)?

My understanding is that Gumout contains PEA which needs time and heat cycles to work most effectively. I'd opt to add it t a full 36gal tank to expose engine parts to the detergent effect for the greatest duration possible.

As we all know, fuel tanks come in different capacities. I think you will be fine filling it 3/4 full, and then dumping the whole bottle in. From what I have read, over treat does no harm. If the PEA treatment is supposedly beneficial on a 16 gallon tank at one ounce per gallon, then I am sure you will be fine at a slight over treat.

It doesn't matter what ratio, it won't do anything. If you want some truly effective cleaning, put a gallon or two of E85 in your next fill up.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
It doesn't matter what ratio, it won't do anything.

I have treid so many over the years - - the only ones that made any difference were Valvoline SynPower (no longer avail) and Chevron Techron.

I've never heard of any gumout product actually working.

Originally Posted By: buck91

No, clearly not. But my question for the hivemind is really more whether it should offer better cleaning power at a higher concentration for less duration (half fill) or lower concentration for longer duration (full fill at max end of dilution)?

The product instructions are already optimized for the most effective result.

Doubling the concentration is not significantly more effective than regular concentration. Running something that is slightly more effective for half the time is going to be less effective overall.

Originally Posted By: buck91

The product instructions are already optimized for the most effective result.

Doubling the concentration is not significantly more effective than regular concentration. Running something that is slightly more effective for half the time is going to be less effective overall.

Agreed. Think about it; the manufacturer wants to sell more product. If they thought in any way, shape or form that the higher concentration would be helpful, they would definitely have referred to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back