The invention of PAO......

Status
Not open for further replies.
It went from PAO/POE to PAO/Diester to PAO/POE (again), then began introducing AN and Group III+. I don't know its current base oil composition, but hopefully it still contains Group III+, PAO, and AN in various ratios according to viscosity grade, as this is an excellent blend from both a performance and economical standpoint. In my personal opinion, they have always used premium base oils in their synthetics.

Tom NJ/VA

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Synthetic lubricants have been around at least since the 1930s (...)

In 1972 the first fully approved synthetic motor oil was developed by Hatco Corporation and marketed by Amsoil. This was also based entirely on diesters, as were most early synthetic motor oils, and performed very well. But market penetration was difficult because the marketers were small underfunded companies and the products were shunned by car manufacturers and major oil. (...)
Tom NJ/VA

So, all that Amatusio empiric testings in the late 60's is a Legend?

I have no idea how much testing Al did, but the concept of mass marketing a synthetic motor oil was his. He had the idea and the packaging and marketing capability, but lacked the technology and manufacturing components. He partnered with Hatco who could formulate, manufacture and blend, but lacked a means to market. They filled each other's needs until Amsoil grew and could make their own.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Synthetic lubricants have been around at least since the 1930s (...)

In 1972 the first fully approved synthetic motor oil was developed by Hatco Corporation and marketed by Amsoil. This was also based entirely on diesters, as were most early synthetic motor oils, and performed very well. But market penetration was difficult because the marketers were small underfunded companies and the products were shunned by car manufacturers and major oil. (...)
Tom NJ/VA

So, all that Amatusio empiric[al] testings in the late 60's is a Legend?

I met him a couple of times at SAE and STLE meetings and got to ask him that very question.

He said testing at the time was mostly fleet testing done by friends, relatives, employees, and business associates who had fleets of trucks and or cabs.

In all cases used oil analysis was done and a few engines actually torn down and miked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back