How to cook veggies to retain nutrients?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a simple question - what's the best method of cooking your veggies to try and retain most (or all, which probably isn't possible) of their nutritional value?

I've heard that microwaving just obliterates the nutritional value of foods. On the opposite, I've heard that pressure cooking retains more nutritional value than any other method of cooking?

I'm thinking that the "best" method would be to steam them?

Does anyone know of a good reference (or maybe it's just a guideline) to tell me how long to cook a specific vegetable?

Thank you!

Ed

Keep cooking times to a minimum and keep them as whole as possible. Baking or roasting for most does well. Wash, but don't soak the vegetables.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Here's a link to a pretty good chart. Can't vouch for accuracy of times, though.

http://www.healwithfood.org/chart/vegetable-steaming-times.php
Excellent! Thank you!

smile.gif

Ed

Any one ever think about how lacking in vitamins and minerals are because of how they are commercially grown?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Steam them.

X2 ... definitely my favorite method.

A good vegetable steamer is less than $30 - protects the flavor, too!

Slightly OT, but can someone recommend a good steamer? Amazon is full of them, but I'm not sure I trust some of those reviews...

Here is a CNN article on the subject:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/21/health/upwave-microwaving-food/

Here is a NY times article on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html

Here is webmd:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/doees-reheating-leftovers-kill-vitamins

All 3 articles claim microwave can actually be healthier than other methods.
The claim that microwave destroys nutritional value is urban myth. Fast cooking and lowest heat will have least damage. That goes for all forms of cooking. Overcooking can reduce nutritional value, especially high heat.

I would not trust any natural/green/new-age mumbo jumbo websites making far off claims.

It's nice to cook something but usually I just make green shakes. Giant fist full spinach. 1 banana. some juice. blend. Drink with my red meat and potatoes. Get way more out of a plant when you blend it vs chewing.

Steam them and then use the leftover water as broth.

But then again, frying them in oil encourages me to eat more of them and I go that route more often than not.

Lightly steam....least amount for your personal taste and texture. Some are best eaten raw like lettuces, others like carrots and tomatoes need more cooking to release/optimize the nutrients. Some like spinach keep many of the nutrients locked up no matter what you do.

I've seen the micro-waving caution in too many places to think it's just an urban myth. But, if nutritionfacts.org would say otherwise, I'd believe that source. How can those waves be healthful? I understand how UV waves from the sun trigger the chol/Vit D3 synthesis in our skin and organs. Not sure where micro-waving fits in.

I agree that today's veggies don't measure up to 50-100 yrs ago. Which means you have to eat more of them than ever. And you certainly can't afford to miss even one healthful meal per day. It's a chore to get all your needed vits, minerals, fiber, anti-oxidants, and high quality proteins in the meals we eat.

Steaming them in a pressure cooker is fast. I like to eat them raw too, since I'm not that patient. I also like to microwave a few potatoes for lunch. At 3/4 throttle I turn them over once at 5 min and the cook for another 5 and they cook pretty evenly. Then throw them into a 1L container, throw some salt pepper and butter on them and mash with a fork. Then I'll put on some type of protein, could be scrambled eggs or some cubed meat from dinner.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Any one ever think about how lacking in vitamins and minerals are because of how they are commercially grown?

Yes, that's why our garden with natural manure the stuff tastes so much better too. Most animals are well feed a vitamin supplement that gets passed.

Veggies really don't have many nutrients. Eat meat and fat to stay healthy. Or eggs. Eat veggies because you like the taste, but stay away from the starchy ones - potatoes, beans - only in moderation. Check out zerocarbzen for more info.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Veggies really don't have many nutrients. Eat meat and fat to stay healthy. Or eggs. Eat veggies because you like the taste, but stay away from the starchy ones - potatoes, beans - only in moderation. Check out zerocarbzen for more info.

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: CT8

Yes, that's why our garden with natural manure the stuff tastes so much better too. Most animals are well feed a vitamin supplement that gets passed.

If you want to research an interesting concept that is common in China

Look up "night soil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back