VW surpasses Toyota as number one in sales 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.torquenews.com/3769/vw-shakes-dieselgate-surpassing-toyota-world-s-number-one-automaker

From link above...

Volkswagen seems to have shaken off the negative impact of its diesel emissions scandal to surpass Toyota as the worlds biggest automaker.
Volkswagen appears well on the way to removing the onus of its self-inflicted diesel emissions scandal if sales are any indication. For 2016, the automaker’s sales bumped up 3.8 percent led by demand in China and Europe. Sales in the U.S. and South America were down.
Counting full-year deliveries at its subsidiaries, Volkswagen’s overall sales hit a record 10.3 million vehicles. The figure should put the automaker into a position it has been seeking for several years, the number one global car company. VW has been fighting Toyota tooth-and-nail for that position for several years, though Toyota usually ended up on top.
For the month of December, the automaker’s sales were up a solid 12 percent to just below 1 million vehicles (933,300). Matthias Mueller, VW chief executive, said the automaker had stabilized its sales following what he called a “very challenging year.”

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's obvious that all these people buying VWs are dumb. Now, when Toyota was/is No.1, it is obviously because of all the really smart folks who bought the superior product.

LOL

I rather enjoyed the emission tricking . I almost want a VW because it the tricking but then I am a rebel and will never ever be any good.

Neither appeal to me anymore. I doubt I can get what I pay for, if I buy a new one of either. My VW pulled off 10c/mile depreciation+repairs, my Camry looks like it might (hard to say) but in an era of ever rising purchase cost I suspect I won't be able to do that again.

It's obvious that all these people buying VWs are dumb. Now, when Toyota was/is No.1, it is obviously because of all the really smart folks who bought the superior product.

lol.gif

VW golf gti is considered about the best compact to get in many performance-car people's opinion. If you care about drivetrain, steering, handling, which are big in my book.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
VW golf gti is considered about the best compact to get in many performance-car people's opinion. If you care about drivetrain, steering, handling, which are big in my book.

Maybe best all-round car on the market, all things considered.

when Toyota was/is No.1, it is obviously because of all the really smart folks who bought the superior product.
Toyota engines are ranked #2 in reliability. VW is near-last.

Given the Emissions Test cheating that happened in the U.S. and EU, I think customers must be dumb. Why do customers keep buying Volkswagens after they learn they were lied to about "clean" cars?

My next diesel will definitely NOT be a Volkswagen.
It will be the #3 best-selling supplier (GM).

Did they subtract all the diesel buyback cheat cars?

How can you trust their numbers when you know, they are known for cheating?

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
when Toyota was/is No.1, it is obviously because of all the really smart folks who bought the superior product.

Given the Emissions Test cheating that happened in the U.S. and EU, I think customers must be dumb. Why do customers keep buying Volkswagens after they learn they were lied to about "clean" cars?

Because the way I see it, the VW "cheat" was a benefit to consumers.

There are also those that buy what we like, and VW places higher on our list (way higher) than a beige Toyota.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

+ 1

And you don't even need to go that far - I have yet to drive another midsize that has the same handling capabilities as the Passat. Not as big a fan of the B7 as much as I am B6 and B8, however.
smile.gif

Why do customers keep buying Volkswagens after they learn they were lied to about "clean" cars?

Why do customers keep buying Toyotas after they learned about the accelerator pedal issues?

Why do customers keep buying GM cars after they learned about the ignition switch problems?

By an aftermarket warranty company dealing with vehicles in the UK. You conveniently omitted that qualifier from your statement.

PURE DATA doesn't lie.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why do customers keep buying Toyotas after they learned about the accelerator pedal issues?
Why do customers keep buying GM cars after they learned about the ignition switch problems?

There's a difference between imperfect humans making honest mistakes (as we all do), versus deliberately cheating on a test to defraud the customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back