Grease recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new toy, an Aero Survival Rifle from a company called TNW in Oregon. It's a blow-back operated 10mm carbine. My question is what type of grease would be best to coat the bolt carrier and bolt with. The receiver is aluminum. I've only put 50 rounds through it, but it seems very solid...and LOTS OF FUN!!!!! Can't wait for good weather to get out my chrono.

Slip200 EWL30. The EWL50 was even better but it no longer is in production. Use EWL30 and EWL and your firearms will be will protected. No one makes better firearms lubes then Slip2000. I have many dozens of different lubes at my cleaning station and none come close to Slip2000. I went on a prairie dog hunt a few years back and had my AR lubed with Slip2000. I shot 3,000 rounds in 4 days and the gun ran flawless with no malfunctions and was still wet. After seeing that, I was sold!

Originally Posted By: AMC
Super Lube will do you well.

Get it at harbor freight or I am now hearing some home depots carry it.

Although Super Lube is good stuff I would not use it on firearms. It has PTFE in it and some lubes with PTFE can turn acidic in temps that guns can hit. There have been some documented cases of the lube pitting the steel.

Hmmm, that's a new one. Super lube is an H-1 certified food grade grease and rated to 450F. Super lube (Synco) also make greases approved for use in nuclear facilities, rail roads and plenty of other things. I wonder if their lube engineers have ever heard of this.... You better call them asap and give them a heads up.

My understanding of PTFE is that it can off gas and create (tiny amounts) hazardous fumes once it reaches 392F but I have never heard of it turning acidic or pitting anything. Some chlorinated compounds are known to pit steel, is that what you are referring to?

Forget any of that for a minute, unless this rifle is full auto; what part of the bolt or receiver (or any of the real friction areas) are ever going to reach 392F ?

Hard to beat TW25B. Stays put, good in the cold or hot, good stuff.

41IkJnBnpuL._SY300_.jpg

Wilson Combat Ultima Lube Grease would be my go to. Although I would probably not use grease in a survival rifle, I would probably go for their universal lube which is between a runny oil and a thin grease in consistency. It sticks to frame rails pretty darn well.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Hard to beat TW25B. Stays put, good in the cold or hot, good stuff.

41IkJnBnpuL._SY300_.jpg

That is good stuff and contains PTFE also, very expensive though.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Although I would probably not use grease in a survival rifle, I would probably go for their universal lube which is between a runny oil and a thin grease in consistency. It sticks to frame rails pretty darn well.

Sae50 two stroke oil (Motul 800)

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Although I would probably not use grease in a survival rifle, I would probably go for their universal lube which is between a runny oil and a thin grease in consistency. It sticks to frame rails pretty darn well.

Closer to the old Red Bottle STP

I wouldn't worry about PTFE as Rem Oil has used it in their oil for years . True , many gun oil makers have moved away from PTFE - if it is a concern I just would not use it down a barrel , however the amount that could turn to fumes is miniscule .
Originally Posted By: AMC
Hmmm, that's a new one. Super lube is an H-1 certified food grade grease and rated to 450F. Super lube (Synco) also make greases approved for use in nuclear facilities, rail roads and plenty of other things. I wonder if their lube engineers have ever heard of this.... You better call them asap and give them a heads up.

My understanding of PTFE is that it can off gas and create (tiny amounts) hazardous fumes once it reaches 392F but I have never heard of it turning acidic or pitting anything. Some chlorinated compounds are known to pit steel, is that what you are referring to?

Forget any of that for a minute, unless this rifle is full auto; what part of the bolt or receiver (or any of the real friction areas) are ever going to reach 392F ?

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Seriously?

You're recommending that he use two stroke oil on his new rifle?

Do you even own a gun? I'm just curious. You have a lot of bizarre recommendations on guns and hold quite a few misconceptions about them, so I'm wondering why you post in this section.

OP - TW-25 has worked well for me on the slides of various pistols. I've used on the BCG of an AR-10 (a DPMS LR-308) with better results than Rem-oil. If the manufacturer recommends a grease, I would use the TW-25. Yeah, it's expensive, but a tube will last for a couple of years of shooting and the ammo during that time will be hundreds of times more costly, so the price of TW-25 isn't really an issue in the context of total shooting costs.

Last edited:
I will also add that old Hoppes Gun Grease does a darn decent job and it inexpensive as it gets. I last picked up a tube of it for around 3 or 4 bucks. I use it on my shotgun choke tubes or as a protectant for humid climates.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Seriously? You're recommending that he use two stroke oil on his new rifle? Do you even own a gun? I'm just curious. You have a lot of bizarre recommendations on guns and hold quite a few misconceptions about them, so I'm wondering why you post in this section.

Yeah, heavyweight 2-Stroke oil is a bit out there where the busses don't run for firearm lubrication. While it probably would work in a pinch, I can't imagine anyone actually choosing it over everything that's out there in lubrication land.

I remember an old Army publication (Vietnam-era) that stated that you could use a bit of oil off a truck dipstick for your M-16 if you ran out of LSA.

So, used engine oil? Better than nothing. In combat, weapon reliability trumps all other concerns.

But if you're going to buy new lube, there are a lot better choices than two stroke oil.

This reminds me of WW II stories of Germans [censored] on the barrels of their MG-42's to cool them down, during the Normandy Invasion. In combat you use what you've got. It's not like they could stroll down to the beach and fetch a bucketful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: billt460
This reminds me of WW II stories of Germans pi$$ing on the barrels of their MG-42's to cool them down, during the Normandy Invasion. In combat you use what you've got. It's not like they could stroll down to the beach and fetch a bucketful.

In Korea in the winter (According the reports of S.L.A. Marshall), American GI's sometimes had to pee on their guns to get them to work as they had to melt off the frost accumulation.

As for motor oil in Vietnam, I know that to be true, but it was widespread before the congressional investigations revealed massive deficiencies in the supply of firearms care supplies.

Lucas red grease,can't remember it's name tho other than it is sold under the name of Lucas, comes in a grease tube, will give you years of use>

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Lucas red grease,can't remember it's name tho other than it is sold under the name of Lucas, comes in a grease tube, will give you years of use>

It's called "Red & Tacky #2". Here is a picture of it, (third from right). I think it now comes in a 1 pound tub as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back