German engines least reliable; Japanese at top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the source: http://www.carscoops.com/2013/01/warranty-direct-reveals-uks-least.html

- Note that Audi uses Volkswagen engines which are ranked the least reliable (MG is defunct):
- The only good German engines are the Mercedes engines.
- The highest American engine is Ford behind Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Volvo. GM and Chrysler are somewhere in the middle.

Please share if you have other engine reliability surveys.

I'd like to know how they define a "failure."

Also note that ze Germans usually have a much higher output for a given engine size...

Seems like a weighted list.

I would also like to know what is considered a failure. It could be anything from a minor part failing to complete engine failure.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would also like to know what is considered a failure. It could be anything from a minor part failing to complete engine failure.

+1

Dude, that is a link to a study in the UK, not here. Can we buy a DIESEL Ford Focus here in the states? Can we buy a DIESEL VW Polo here in the states?

Does this look like a U.S./Canadian Civic? can we get a 1.6L DIESEL engine in it like in the UK?

2w4lmih.jpg

ogeues.jpg

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
The best engines are Japanese? No sh!t. Yet some still refuse to believe it. Hey, did you guys hear we landed on the moon?

We landed on the moon with an American rocket engine that had its roots in World War II Germany.

This article is from 2013 and based on 2012 data, any newer ones available, specifically vehicles sold in the US, not the UK?

I'm not sure who "Warranty Direct" is but it sounds like an aftermarket warranty company? If so, I have to wonder if they are lumping all repairs together as "failure" for the 25k to 100kmile region (give or take). Wouldn't matter if it was trivial to catastrophic--perhaps any issue inside the typical extended warranty period is being covered.

Otherwise I'm left wondering just the the timespan covered is. I mean, drive anything long enough and it'll fail.

Warranty Direct is a large extended warranty firm for autos/homes. I couldn't find details on what an engine "failure" is. Certainly they are trying to drum up business. I would imagine a "failure" is fairly significant if a Honda failure only occurs 1 out of 344 policies. Then again, at 1 in 13 for MG Rover I'd have to cringe. 1 in 100 seems fairly reasonable for a major engine failure among the major auto mfg's after the initial warranty has expired. WD says they will typically insure vehicles if they are under 12 yrs old and have less than 120K miles. I don't know if they allow for protection beyond that point. The vehicle must have proven service while the warranty is in effect. So it's not like [censored] boxes are going to be accepted/retained into the program. No modified or specific high performance cars.

WD basics

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd like to know how they define a "failure."

Also note that ze Germans usually have a much higher output for a given engine size...

Seems like a weighted list.

Looks like mfg warranty engine claims mean failure to the writer..

Can you really judge a Jaguar's reliability on the same scale as a Honda? Plenty of 25 year old Hondas are getting thrashed by young kids and people that buy half a dozen packs of cigarettes a week before thinking how long it's been since the oil was changed... or checked. Not so many Jags in those and similar demographics. Not saying Honda isn't one of the most reliable powerplants there is, but including Jaguar in the same list seems very apples-to-oranges.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
German engines least reliable; Japanese at top

I've been believing this for decades. Probably since the late 70s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back