Flood & Salvage Vehicles - Avoid or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found a really good buy on a 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis with 45,000 miles. However the Carfax shows it was totaled in Florida as a flood vehicle not that long ago. Has anyone here ever had a flood vehicle and how bad is it?

What about other salvage titles?

in New orleans in 65 after hurricane , 100s of flooded cars, insurance companies stored them all at an out of use racetrack where they sat for weeks till buyers came from afar and hauled them off, many had mud lines above the door handles.
I would not buy a flood car

Not knowing the extent of the flooding ??? not worth the headache or risk . Back around 1998 i had a car get water up to the bottom of the doors which flooded the floor of the car maybe two inches of water inside, car never smelled right after always had a musty damp smell and the carpets and insulation were pulled and dryed.
So just my two cents

It depends on if it was salt or fresh water and how deep it was flooded. If no water got into the drive train and it was fresh water its going to be a project but doable if it was salt water run don't walk.
I generally try and avoid them unless its something for myself and I know why its a salvage with no intention of ever selling it just junking it in the end.

Theres lot of flood vehicles coming on right now as Texas and Louisiana got hit hard and Californication pretty much got rid of their draught this winter too. If you need body parts.
Salvage I would not feel bad about if been done right and inspected. My Scion was a front left clip that a rental company that self insures rights off quick(Enterprise). It already has a family member wanting if I wish to get rid of it.
I'm looking at a Mustang that is sitting at dealer with the rear bumper skin needing replacement and a drivers seat air bag that came from Nevada after the ice storms.
We get salvage vehicles because of hail frequently. I had a Jeep TJ from Chicago that a tree fell on the hood, needed hood,grill and radiator. When I sols it on CL it was gone in 20 minutes. But Jeeps have a cult like following and some dings etc are almost a badge of honor.

Last edited:
Avoid flood cars. Otherwise depends on the nature of reason classed as salvage title. Recovered stolen vehicles that have never been titled yet (i.e. dealership inventory that's stolen and recovered) usually have to be re-titled as salvage, and sometimes they don't get flogged or abused much. And sometimes they do.

Flood car = non-electrical parts car.
I fixed a couple flooded cars when I was a tech but they were all carb. They still had issues with bulbs and other electrical items. Now take a modern car and try and get ALL the electrical.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have found a really good buy on a 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis with 45,000 miles. However the Carfax shows it was totaled in Florida as a flood vehicle not that long ago. Has anyone here ever had a flood vehicle and how bad is it?

What about other salvage titles?

Flood would be the worst, especially salt water flood.

Guess I ll be the only guy but the way I look at it, if it was too bad they wouldn't have bothered to fix it and get it retitled. I wouldn't be afraid of it. Matter of fact I would prefer it over a wrecked fixed one. I bought a 2007 Ford FX2 with a reconstruction title. The report said from vandalism. I love the truck and the deal was sweet. Just know going in your probably stuck with it.
Which I knew buying the Ford. I plan on keeping it. Really new electronics are sealed better than before. Everybody is in the 80s when this stuff was new and unreliable. I would buy it for the right price just not to resale.

On the subject of salvage vehicles what is the values of pre and post repair? I'm sure this will be a can of worms as there is so many variations.

A Pa friend bought a newer Rubicon fresh water flood, water line below the dash. Drained and replaced all fluids, might or might not have separated and sprayed all the electrical connectors he could get to, don't remember. He's been driving it for 5 years with no issues at all. I thought he was crazy as a loon. I still wouldn't buy one.

Depends entirely on the car. Since you really can't determine the extent of the damage at this point, I would not mess with it unless it was so cheap that I could have MANY significant problems and still be in it for much less that one value of a non-salvage car in similar condition.

Assuming it was totaled by an insurance company and not an individual appears the estimate to repair could not have been over 80% the retail value at the time, Florida does require a complete estimate.

Don't do it. Some sucker will pay 95% of retail and think they got a "good deal" because it's so "clean." They won't cut the price enough for you to make it worth it, as they're sitting around waiting for that sucker.

I'd even go so far as to avoid that dealer, as they seem kinda scummy overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back