At what RPM do you typically drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silverado I usually drive so that it shifts between 2500 and 3000. I do wind it out on occasion, and with the tune the shift point has been raised from 5200 to 5800 rpm (common practice for this engine).

The Miata gets a few more beans most of the time. Most shifts are in the 3500 to 4500 range, and it for sure gets taken to 7000 often...although the last 500 rpm just seem harsh to me.

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
Daily vehicle goes to redline 8,200rpm every couple of days. 6,000rpm every day. 3,300rpm at 62mph motorway speed.
Weekend vehicles goes to redline 8,500rpm every time driven. Never goes below 3,000 rpm when driving once it has warmed up.

...and what are the vehicles you are talking about?

80mph = 3,000rpm in my Genesis Coupe in 6th gear.

But I do take it to the redline (6,250) once a day when it is fully warmed up. I also cruise at medium-high loads for extended distances on the toll roads around 4,000rpm. My UOA's come back fantastic. And at 153,000 miles it runs perfect with little carbon buildup on anything I can easily see inside the engine.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My 84 Civic wagon cruises at 3K between 65/70. It that's mostly the driving done plus some on and off the freeway and a little bit of running around it returns a steady 41 mpg.

The engine has a carb, single overhead cam, under square, with a displacement of 1488cc with 76hp and a 5-speed manual.

Wow. What is the top speed on that thing?

Originally Posted By: Kurtatron
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My 84 Civic wagon cruises at 3K between 65/70. It that's mostly the driving done plus some on and off the freeway and a little bit of running around it returns a steady 41 mpg.

The engine has a carb, single overhead cam, under square, with a displacement of 1488cc with 76hp and a 5-speed manual.

Wow. What is the top speed on that thing?

I bet it will get close to 100mph on the speedometer. When I was in high school my mom had an 85 Corolla hatch with a 70hp 1.6l with a 4spd auto and it would wind through 3rd near 90mph and then basically hold that speed in 4th... I hit 100 mph going down hill once... Fun little car though, the best fwd car for left foot braking rally style drifting I've ever driven. Something about the light weight and the skinny tires just seemed to work right on snow and gravel better than any of my other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back