Older full-size truck alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get my 1985 F-250 aligned-- I replaced all the inner and outer tie rod ends about six months ago, along with the adjustment sleeves. I did my best counting threads when reassembling, and came close, but not close enough. I did the work when my last set of tires had about 5/32 tread on them, and they wore a bit uneven by the time they were replaced. They wore even before I replaced the tie rods, so I suspect the toe is off a bit and now that I have new tires on, I want to get it aligned.

Places I've called (mostly chains) have suggested anything from a four wheel alignment, thrust angle alignment, to a simple front end alignment. This truck should only need a simple front end alignment, correct? It has a solid rear axle, but the infamous Ford IFS front axle from the 1980-1996 trucks. I don't think that changes things though, it should still be a front end only alignment, correct? What are they adjusting, all three parameters (caster/camber/toe) or just toe? I want to have as much info as possible when I bring it to get aligned, so they don't try to pull one over on me.

I took it to a chain a couple months ago, and they said the outer tie rod ends are bad because they were able to compress them with a set of pliers (the replacements are the old grease-zerk type, but so were the old ones). The outer tie rod ends were brand new, so I didn't buy that and simply took the truck home. I only put about 100 miles on it per month, so it wasn't a huge priority getting it aligned. Now I need to make a 1000 mile drive the weekend after next, so I need it aligned and need it done right so I don't screw up my new tires.

Anyone have any suggestions one how to get this done by a good shop, the right way, without spending a fortune? This is an easy truck to work on, and I used quality parts. No reason (to my knowledge) that it can't be aligned, but I want to be prepared for these shops trying to pull a fast one and selling me parts I don't need.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
1. Never go to a chain store business for an alignment
2. Never go to a tire store for an alignment

Okay, where do you suggest? All the indy shops I've called don't have the equipment.

You have to find a real alignment shop. My wife's 2002 F250 has bushings to adjust Camber and my 1979 F150 had to go to a real alignment shop and bend the Axles like they do on semi truck axle . You need to tell them you want the adjustments to the exact spec not with in the + or - like the set the toe and let it go shops. It may cost more but if done properly it will be worth it.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
1. Never go to a chain store business for an alignment
2. Never go to a tire store for an alignment

Okay, where do you suggest? All the indy shops I've called don't have the equipment.
Try a heavy duty truck place.

Given that the truck exhibited no uneven tire wear before I replaced the tie rod parts, I have reason to believe there's no axle bending or anything extravagant needed. I only replaced the tie rods and ends because of a clunking sound; the parts were worn and needed replaced. I suspect I need the toe corrected, and caster/camber checked. I simply counted threads when reinstalling to get the truck driveable and knew I'd need an alignment afterward. Most chains have done just fine by me with this type of work, but on this older truck they seem to do weird tests to try and diagnose parts that aren't bad before they even start. I've never heard of compressing a tie rod end of this type with a pair of pliers, just seems like they're looking for problems and things to sell before they even do the alignment.

Do it yourself - on that truck it's about as easy as you can get. As you said, if tire wear was basically perfect before you replaced the tie rod ends nothing except toe should be out. I use a tape measure, from equal places on the tread of each tire at the highest reachable point on the front of the tire to the highest reachable point on the back, then adjust the tie rods in 1/4 or 1/2 turns - rolling it back then forward again a few feet after each tweak - to get it just less than (to account for not being at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the tire) whatever the spec is.

And if you get out for less than $500, you got off easy.

You need a thrust-angle alignment. Any shop should be able to do it, though some may have a problem in that it is too long for their alignment rack.

I take my Buick to Chick's Frame & Wheel in Fresno, CA. They align Peterbilts and Freightliners. They also straighten frames when the truck has been in a wreck. It's a third or forth generation family business; the best kind. They tell me what parts I need to change and then I go home and change the parts. Bring it back to them for the alignment. They respect me for doing my own work. I treat them like they're my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back