Think this would be covered under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be taking in the Jetta for a sticking ignition tumbler...for a second time. I noticed on one of the wheel covers the clear coat appears to be flaking off. Would this be covered under the 3 year / 36k mile bumper to bumper? Also going to mention the door lock that squeals...assuming it's a bad actuator.

If the warranty is 3 years, wait until year 2-and-a-half and then complain. The "flaking" will be more obvious and undeniable. And by the way we're talking about VW here. They just spent billions paying-off the EPA lawsuits, so they will be doing whatever they can to deny warranty claims (to save money).

Most manufacturers only have a 1 year finish warranty...

But I have refinished customers wheels at no charge because it's usually a clumsy tech that drops the wheel and nicks the finish and starts the corrosion.

VW is well known to deny warranties for just about any reason. And that was before they paid out billions.

So should it be covered, yes. Will it be, magic 8ball says...Reply hazy try again.

Are the hub caps between the bumpers? If so, I'd say they should be covered under the "bumper to bumper warranty"... "should" be being the operative word.

I had an '08 Dodge which devolved pin hole leaks from flaking on the rims. I had to replace all four rims. Well passed the warranty period, unfortunately.

Hub caps are purely cosmetic, but I'd still bring it up to the dealership.

They're wheel covers???

I just noticed after reading the other replies. And re-reading your OP, lol. As a VW writer, I would have ordered you a new one and put it on an RO. If VW denied the claim (they probably wouldn't), we as a dealer would have eaten the cost, no question. I can see this is already turning into a VW/dealer bash thread, but give your local place a chance to do the right thing.

YMMV

Originally Posted By: car51
My work wouldn't warranty that. It's a freakin wheel cover

But it would warranty if the clear came off a wheel or a bumper cover? What's the difference?
Not bagging on you but that seems a little dismissive.

Wonder what it would cost to replace with OEM?

Nope. Looks like this cover was cleaned with an acid based wheel cleaner. Look at the wheel, it is missing paint and rusting behind the openings in the cover. The area that would have been exposed to the same cleaners that were used on the cover.
Would the warranty cover the paint job if a garden rake was used to remove snow?

VW would really be doing some good faith stuff to cover this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
My work wouldn't warranty that. It's a freakin wheel cover

Yes, that should hold up way longer than 3 years. This car doesn't even see the inside of a car wash.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Nope. Looks like this cover was cleaned with an acid based wheel cleaner. Look at the wheel, it is missing paint and rusting behind the openings in the cover. The area that would have been exposed to the same cleaners that were used on the cover.
Would the warranty cover the paint job if a garden rake was used to remove snow?

I'm glad you know how I detail the cars. Only mild car wash / wax shampoo is used. All the wheels are rusting sadly.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Question is: What do VW think "3 year bumper-to-bumper" means?

My question is how is Volkswagon in the top 3 car companies world wide... How is it possible they can be better than Toyota at.... anything, how?

Last edited:
VW is near-last place in engine reliability. I don't know how they managed to be in #3 behind Toyota (second most reliable) and GM (average reliable). Perhaps it is proof that "popularity" with customers has next-to-nothing to do with engine reliability.

Some folks, like my sister, can't afford even a used Bust My Wallet, but think there is some snob appeal to the cheap German car. Now she's whining about it.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
VW is near-last place in engine reliability. I don't know how they managed to be in #3 behind Toyota (second most reliable) and GM (average reliable). Perhaps it is proof that "popularity" with customers has next-to-nothing to do with engine reliability.

Where did you get this information? I am not questioning you, just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back