Renault Sport F1 to use Castrol in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky Sports report

Renault Sport tweet

Castrol

1485258529673.jpg

19.gif

Thanks! Boy there are lots of changes for this upcoming season. Should make things very interesting.

I really can't get excited over which decals are plastered on which cars. Or who sponsors who. I'm only hoping we see some different teams at the top this year. It's been nothing but Mercedes and Red Bull for how many years now?

You might not get excited about it, but sponsorship runs deep through F1; the teams getting to the top are the ones with the best funding, which comes from various sources but is driven by sponsorship. Some sponsors pay for space, others actually work with the teams on making the car go better. A car that goes better gets better results, hence is seen on the TV more, resplendent in all its decals. Happy team, happy sponsors.

Oil and fuel can actually affect how well the car goes. Or not - see what happened to Lewis last year when the oil specification got a bit too close to the edge. It cost him the championship.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I really can't get excited over which decals are plastered on which cars. Or who sponsors who. I'm only hoping we see some different teams at the top this year. It's been nothing but Mercedes and Red Bull for how many years now?

That would be seven years running (or 8 if you count Brawn GP which used Mercedes power, or 9 if you go back to McLaren in '08 which also used Mercedes power).
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
That would be seven years running (or 8 if you count Brawn GP which used Mercedes power, or 9 if you go back to McLaren in '08 which also used Mercedes power).

Then you have to add in almost another decade of the Ferrari / Schumacher era, that started the year after Mika Häkkinen retired. (1999 I think).

Originally Posted By: billt460
I really can't get excited over which decals are plastered on which cars.

Remember, though, with fuel and lubricant partners, it's more than just decals plastered on a car and a big cheque. There is a lot of technical innovation involved.

Shell and other lubricant partners have their mobile labs to tweak lubes and fuels as needed, with some fuel changes coming in this year. It's not like Ray Ban, where they hand Kimi and Seb and the rest of the team a few pairs of sunglasses, a big cheque, and some decals.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back