Two month review - Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So it has been two months about about 3,000Km with the new Jeep and I believe time for a reasonably comprehensive review of it.

Since purchase, there have been two updates for it:

1. Latest UConnect update, released in September
2. BCM update which showed up on WiTech a couple of weeks ago. Fixed some bugs and improved diagnostic capabilities. More on this later.

I'm going to get the cons out of the way first:
- Power lift gate is a bit slow. Not being able to open the window means you have to open the lift gate every time. I found the speed on the recently rented Tahoe more appropriate.
- Since the latest UConnect update, I found the touchscreen a bit laggy on power up. Trying to hit the heated seats and wheel buttons takes a second for them to become responsive. The BCM update has, for whatever reason, improved this however.
- The analog speedometer in the cluster is absolutely useless. It is so small I don't even know why it was included. Luckily the large digital display is wonderful but it is weird having this entirely useless gauge moving around on the left side.
- There is no coin storage in the centre console. This was a fantastic thing in the Charger. It had this padded/lined movable coin holder, which the Jeep lacks.
- The cup holders are not heated or cooled. This was another feature that I really liked in the Charger.
- Periodically the remote start would not work. However, the BCM update mentioned above, appears to have fixed that issue. So I can't complain about that anymore.
- There is a reflection of the stitching from the leather dash that you can see in the windshield.

Now the pro's:
- The ride is phenomenal. Perfect balance between taught and compliant.
- The interior fit and finish is wonderful. Everything lines up, there are no weird gaps, rattles....etc.
- UConnect, this is the third vehicle we've had with this and I have grown no less fond of it. It is currently my benchmark for a touchscreen system.
- The seats. These are the Laguna Leather seats, which are an upgrade from the regular SRT seats that I had in the Charger. They are very similar to the quality of the seats in my former M5. The bolstering is perfect as is, IMHO, the material selection. They feel "just right". Heating and cooling features work extremely well.
- The 6.4L coupled with deeper gearing and the 8spd is an amazing combination. Bucket loads of power at any speed and it comes out of the hole like a bear.
- The panoramic moonroof coupled with the suede headliner/pillars and leather-wrapped dashboard really give it an extremely upscale feel. These are improvements over the Charger for sure.
- The Brembo's are, as expected, fantastic.
- Being a '16, it has the updated steering wheel controls with larger buttons like on the Durango. My Charger had the smaller buttons. I find this new wheel an improvement.
- The auto-levelling HID projector headlights are fantastic, and on-par with the ones in the M5.
- The exhaust note is absolutely intoxicating. It is louder than the Charger was, but not obnoxious. This is probably the best factory exhaust I've ever heard.

All-in-all, I am extremely pleased with the vehicle and it has replaced the M5 as my new "favourite". Capable in corners, but can still tow the boat to the cottage in the spring and handle snow like a champion. This experience, coupled with my dad's recent testing of a GC Trail Hawk has made me a big fan of this platform and Jeep's QC with it. Definitely one of their better, if not their best product right now.

A few filthy winter pictures:

Tough to beat the WK2 platform with all the improvements they have put into them.

Wife loves her hemi Overland, these are the best bang for the buck.

ours has 20 k miles on it and no issuess, have the maxcare lifetime warranty so FCA is my pit crew and have an excellent dealer around the corner, freinds with the owner, son, two of the techs who know what they are doing and also service manager.

That's awesome that it compares favorably with an M5.

Had to look up your music choice, whoa, seems like you'd go road rage with that in
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Tough to beat the WK2 platform with all the improvements they have put into them.

Wife loves her hemi Overland, these are the best bang for the buck.

ours has 20 k miles on it and no issuess, have the maxcare lifetime warranty so FCA is my pit crew and have an excellent dealer around the corner, freinds with the owner, son, two of the techs who know what they are doing and also service manager.

Agreed.

My father has a 2013 Trailhawk with the 5.7L. It is a few miles away from 90k with no issues. I think I had to replace a fog light bulb, and that was it. The Jeep has a ton of power, nice interior, tows a dual axle dump trailer every other weekend, and goes through snow like it's nothing.

I can imagine the SRT with the 6.4 is a monster.

I want one...

Think I told you, at a local motel that's on the highway, I was travelling home from work, and a guy in a Jeep pulled out on me...then made an amazing noise, and leaped to traffic speed in an amazingly short period of time.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I want one...

Think I told you, at a local motel that's on the highway, I was travelling home from work, and a guy in a Jeep pulled out on me...then made an amazing noise, and leaped to traffic speed in an amazingly short period of time.

You need to get one
grin.gif
You will absolutely love it.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
How are you doing M.P.G wise...very nice jeep !!!

Not as good as the Durango. I would have to check the read-out, but I'm a fan of the loud pedal and with a lot of in town driving, I know it isn't great.

per the mileage in a 15 Hemi Overland with theQD2, wife is avg about 19 overall since new and the Jeep is her Winter car so only driven Nov thru end of April, then she drives her PT GT turbo stick Convertible.

She does about 60/40 highway here in Maine. She has a lead foot too.

Will get about 23 or so pure highway.

I'm surprised they swapped the speedo and tach on the SRT, I guess it's a small price to pay for having 6.4 liters under the hood
20.gif

These are really nice vehicles, I can't find anything to complain about on my 2015 Overland.

4SNNREd.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Awesome ride....

Since it's BITOG, what OIL are you using?
grin.gif

Currently just has the SRT 0w-40 in it, and then I have a Pennzoil program worth of changes with that oil again. After that, I am thinking M1 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm surprised they swapped the speedo and tach on the SRT, I guess it's a small price to pay for having 6.4 liters under the hood
20.gif

Yeah, I thought it was pretty weird too. The Durango has the tach in that location as well, which makes sense to me
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
What an awesome vehicle for the frozen tundra! AWD and BIG torque must be fun...

It is an absolute hoot. The biggest part is the traction. It just hooks and goes, and pulls like a freight train. I've had all kinds of expletives uttered by passengers after asking me to give it a bite
grin.gif

Excellent writeup. It's great when your affirmations are confirmed after enough time behind the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back