replacing lesabre fuel tank gauge sending unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fuel gauge in my mother's 2003 lesabre is doing gymnastics and from what I read, this is a common problem and the sending unit needs to be replaced. My question is should I replace the fuel pump at the same time? The sending unit and fuel pump come out together.

She is 80 years old, but looks about 15 years younger and drives anywhere she wants, but has only 70,000 miles on a 13 year old car.

If the fuel pump is good for 150,000+ miles then I am inclined to just replace the sending unit. The benefit of any real world experience would be much appreciated. Shoot-from-the-hip opinions - not so much.

My 2000 LeSabre has the same problem. The sending unit measures fuel a 1/4 tank at a time, but it still tells me when I'm close to empty. I just put up with it until it's time to change the fuel pump.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
You should try a few bottles of techron concentrate plus. Known to help with gummed up stuck sending units. I bet this might work for her too. New sta-bil product, can be used year round. Has a vapor technology that cleans and coats tank.. https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-performance

This. My MIL had same issue with her lesabre. She didn't even run techron but it scraped itself clean later on. Different gas? Who knows.

I would reassemble the new sender with the old pump if at all possible. Beware you might run into rust on top of the tank wrt the connectors etc.

Post mortem: I just replaced the sending unit. Getting the ring off was difficult, but possible with a mallet. Otherwise a doable and successful job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back