Mix and Match Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings All-
Installing struts on wife's commuter Toyota Matrix. Rock Auto has Monroe front Quick Struts for about $105 each and rears for about $116 each. Gabriel rear quick struts are only $81 each(fronts are unavailable). Would it be acceptable to install Monroes on the front and Gabriels on the rear? Car is mainly used for light duty commuting/shopping/suburban driving.

Yes, I don't seen an issue. As long as the front and back have the same struts the car should be fine. Plus as you said it's a commuter car.

Yeah this will be fine, but if you can wait a few weeks, Monroe will be running a rebate promo in March, buy 3 get 1 free after rebate.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Yes, I don't seen an issue. As long as the front and back have the same struts the car should be fine. Plus as you said it's a commuter car.
I think you meant to write, "As long as the left and right have the same struts the car should be fine.

I have the same exact struts on my corolla for the past 100k miles. Lots of issues. Took 3 returns to finally get a Monro that was assembled correctly. The rear struts squeak when it's below 40F. The car rides fine, though and even tire wear.

Be sure that you carefully check anything you receive from Rock Auto to make sure your item is not a second or out of date or anything else that might make your purchase less than a good deal. Also make sure that the part number if there is one is exactly what you expect. They are a great place to do business with an astounding selection, good prices and speedy delivery but mistakes and substitutions can be a problem. If there is any reasonable return the item.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Front and rear are "different" even if you buy the same brand..

They are different physically, but I would think that the damping rates would be consistent relative to that car model. To make up an example, maybe the Monroe is softer than the equivalent Gabriel in the front, and maybe the Gabriel is softer than the equivalent Monroe in the rear. One might think that, in theory, you could get a "mis-matched" ride quality between the front and back if you go with different brands.

Answers so far is "it doesn't matter", but I'd probably have the same hesitation.

I would NEVER buy Quick Struts. These units have generic mounts, bump stops and springs that may not be properly tuned for your vehicle configuration. While you may get lucky, you can research online and find that issues involving noise, spring rates and assembly quality are not uncommon.

For a lower mileage vehicle like yours, your best option is to buy a new strut from the dealer (or a KYB if you are on a budget), a new OE boot and pay a shop or Pep Boys to swap over the spring for you. Pep Boys used to charge $20/strut to do the swap, and it was well worth it if you do not own a proper spring compressor.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would NEVER buy Quick Struts. These units have generic mounts, bump stops and springs that may not be properly tuned for your vehicle configuration. While you may get lucky, you can research online and find that issues involving noise, spring rates and assembly quality are not uncommon.

For a lower mileage vehicle like yours, your best option is to buy a new strut from the dealer (or a KYB if you are on a budget), a new OE boot and pay a shop or Pep Boys to swap over the spring for you. Pep Boys used to charge $20/strut to do the swap, and it was well worth it if you do not own a proper spring compressor.

I'm doing this next time I need to change struts. I'm not messing with the springs, though. They scare me.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I'm doing this next time I need to change struts. I'm not messing with the springs, though. They scare me.

Nothing wrong with respecting the stored energy in a compressed spring, its a lot. I do think that if you are capable of safely raising the car and supporting it and removing the struts, that you have the mechanical ability to compress the strut with the correct tools ( decent spring compressor).

I've done this many times. I don't put the strut in a vise, I compress them on the concrete, on their side, with my body not over either end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Thought about doing this because I would like to put some Sachs Struts/shocks on my old Cobalt. Think they will hold up better than the other brands.....

Nothing wrong with quick struts, easy in and out. As others said, quality is variable, even Monroe. But they say the same for other brands, even KYB. I think Moog makes them now too. Only thing would be to make sure that they have a lifetime warranty on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back