VOA of Amsoil OE 5W-30

I was looking for this yesterday, and did not spy it. Here's the results from Petroleum Quality Institute of America:

"The results of the tests conducted on this sample meet the requirements of an API SN, ILSAC GF-5, SAE 5W-30 engine oil."

8.1 TBN (below average)
10.9 cSt viscosity at 100C
63.1 cST viscosity at 40C
4945 cP viscosity at -30C
10.9% loss at 250C

2190 calcium
10 magnesium
642 phosphorus
818 zinc
82 moly
260 boron
5 silicon
4 potassium
4 sodium
2 aluminum
0 on everything else

LINK: http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Amsoil.htm

Originally Posted By: dave1251
This is their lowest tier motor oil.

IMO....nothing out of the ordinary. Can easily find a similar or better synthetic on WalMarts shelves.....and at a cheaper price.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
That's their GIII, 7500 mile oil.

Which I'm running to 15000. I figure it costs the same as Mobil's 15000 mile oil (extended performance), so it should last as long.

Difference is I can buy M1 EP and do $12 rebate so way cheaper than Amsoil
smile.gif

unless your next to their warehouse its prolly quite a bit more with shipping, as noted nothing special!!

May not 'look' impressive, but Amsoil almost always gives god UOA's, even when run beyond recommended intervals.

I'm looking for a VOA of the new formula Should be much improved. I know noack is lower, 9.4 and I like the hths also at 3.3 which is just right as far as I'm concerned.Calcium should be half of what it was with mg and moly way up. Typical of a lot of formulas these days.

Thanks MolaKule, that's where I got the info on my post from but they don't show the make up of the formula of course. I'm already using the SS 5w30 but I'm thinking of switching over to OE, just trying to get more insight into the actual contents.

You'll never know the formula unless you do a C-, H-NMR and GC analysis which can cost up to $1300.00 at commercial labs.

A $28 VOA is only good for showing trending in later UOA's.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
You'll never know the formula unless you do a C-, H-NMR and GC analysis which can cost up to $1300.00 at commercial labs.

A $28 VOA is only good for showing trending in later UOA's.

Molakule which labs run these tests, I would be interested in doing it for Signature series to know what exactly is in it.

Are you going to do full blown 1300$ test? I had. VOA done last year for 0w20 and 5w30 and posted here

I would be interested to see what the new formulation comprises of. Primarily the basestock. Although judging by it's cold properties it looks like heavy amounts of PAO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I would be interested to see what the new formulation comprises of. Primarily the basestock. Although judging by it's cold properties it looks like heavy amounts of PAO.

This does not appear to be the case at all to me. It looks like it's cold weather viscosity is considerably higher than a lot of group III synthetics.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by StevieC

This does not appear to be the case at all to me. It looks like it's cold weather viscosity is considerably higher than a lot of group III synthetics.

What are you referencing to? If you look at the Pour Point / CCS for Signature Series 0w30 it's -50c (-58F) with a CCS of 5372 (-35c) or their 0w20 is -53c (-63F) with a CCS of 5122 (-35c)

Page 4 here: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by veryHeavy
Originally Posted by Ohle_Manezzini
That's their GIII, 7500 mile oil.

Which I'm running to 15000. I figure it costs the same as Mobil's 15000 mile oil (extended performance), so it should last as long.

I wouldn't run the OE for 15k. 7500-10k is probably the absolute limit on that oil. Stevie, you're looking at SS formula on that pdf 2880(1) I think you and Dave1251 got your wires crossed, I believe he's referring to OE, that's what the thread is about. pdf3404(1). For sure there's a good amount of PAO in the SS, OE not so much.

Back