Amsoil SS 0w20, 23,780 miles, '08 Civic Hybrid116K

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comparable oil would be EP 0w20 which is 60-70% PAO.

^The lack of Ca has nothing to do with it.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
AFE still has a TBN of 8.0? Not much Calcium. Not much of anything really, at least not on a VOA. I wouldn't use it much more than 10k miles.

A lot of Mobil oils (including AFE 0W-20) use magnesium and calcium in the add pack (vs just calcium as primary).

Yeah, and even then Mobil 1 EP doesnt have add pack to support as long a OCI as signature series. In this car it(mobil EP) would last for 20k miles, i bet.

No, it's using a newer low SA additive system. And other additives that don't show up in a VOA/UOA.

Double J
Thanks for the post!
The Amsoil SS is doing its job.
I'm currently 34,000 miles into a run with Amsoil 5w-20 SS with a dual bypass system. I'll post the results when then the oil is spent

Since the oil is starting to thicken, I'd say it's very well near the end cycle, if you plan to change the lube BEFORE the engine starts to suffer from lube related wear and tear. Sure running it to 30k "might" be possible with a 30-35 viscosity at the time of sample instead of the 0w20 you poured in but why push it?

I think had you not changed the filter and added the extra makeup oil associated with it, this oil would be done @ 25k just like Amsoil suggests being a solid w30 viscosity due to thickening. Why push it further if the report clearly shows the oil is starting to degrade?

Having said that, I have no doubt in my mind that you could do 30k intervals, changing the filter half way and still have the engine make it to 250k before it will start showing signs of the extended OCIs with increased oil burning, smoking and poor performance as the internals start wearing out. If you plan to change the car at that point, then extending the OCIs further makes a decent argument at that point.

If it were me, I'd cap it at 20k and avoid any filter changes. Just change the oil and filter after 20k and the block will be happy for a long time. You'll avoid getting messy an extra time for the filter change, which isn't necessary, in my opinion. No way this engine will fill up the oil filter with an extra 5k of use. This was originally a 25k design anyway. Amsoil only lowered it to avoid possible hassles due to some people running it 25k+ on old engines which were shedding lots of metal. I wouldn't worry about it. Plenty of members running cheap oil filters rated for 3k up to 15k+ intervals with good results.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
BTW, no matter what hybrid, ICE always spins at hwy speeds.

Not quite... Prius, Camry, and other Toyota hybrids have an EV mode at highway speeds. The car uses that mode to burn-off excess energy if the battery becomes full.

The Honda hybrids turn-off the engine below 25 mph (manuals) or 5 mph (automatics). It then just coasts to a stop, because there's no power.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
BTW, no matter what hybrid, ICE always spins at hwy speeds.

Not quite... Prius, Camry, and other Toyota hybrids have an EV mode at highway speeds. The car uses that mode to burn-off excess energy if the battery becomes full.

The Honda hybrids turn-off the engine below 25 mph (manuals) or 5 mph (automatics). It then just coasts to a stop, because there's no power.

Both of you are partly right. Not the whole story by far.
Honda is a mild hybrid, not much electric at all really, only a 13 hp electric motor helping out.
Toyota and Ford hybrids run through a planetary gearset, unlike the Honda Hybrid setup.
Toyota/Ford hybrids often stop the engine's pistons entirely, depending on whether you are going up or down a hill, for example, and low speeds tend to be all-electric, engine-off too.

Summary: Engine piston stop/start is a VERY frequent event in Toyota/Ford hybrids while driving around, while Honda's IMA hybrid design is constantly moving the pistons all of the time except when you stop the car; Honda pistons do stop when the car is not moving at least.

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=2003112038200

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Toyota hybrids also have an EV mode at highway speeds. The car uses that mode to burn-off excess energy if the battery becomes full......... the Honda hybrids turn-off the engine below 25 mph (manuals) or 5 mph (automatics). It then just coasts to a stop, because there's no power.

Both of you are partly right. Not the whole story by far.

There was nothing wrong with what I said, so why correct me? When I shift to neutral at 25mph the engine shuts off (and the autostop light turns on). The automatic works similarly, except at 5 mph.

Exactly what I stated. It annoys me when people who DON'T OWN A HONDA try to tell those who do, "You don't know what you're talking about." Pu-leeze. And one more thing:

My piece-of-poo "mild" Civic Hybrid will give me 80+ MPG at 40mph. And I don't mean short trips... it sustains 80+ MPG for hundreds of miles (i.e. driving across Minnesota and Wisconsin). 80 MPG is nothing to be ashamed of.

Based on the Prius G3 I rented, it cannot even touch that number. My rental topped-out at 71 mpg. (It also has an engine 0.5 liter larger, so it consumes more fuel.)

Oh and Prius doesn't have a stick shift.
So there.
wink.gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back