New Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished MT's report on the latest Camry. MT didn't even bother to include the mechanical specs. This publication had wonderful technical reports twenty or so years ago, but today nothing but flash. I don't consider the staff at MT car guys. Not going to renew my subscription even if it's $10.00 a year. Not even going to look at the mag at my doctor's office.. Nothing but fluff. And as for the latest Camry, I don't want to be seen in something that looks like that.I hate to say it but my neighbor's new Chevy looks a lot better.

I had a subscription to MT. I did not renew it. Instead I got a subscription to Automobile for 2016. For 2017 I am receiving Car and Driver. Both much better than MT.

All those mags hold bias.. I dont bother with any of them. I try to judge cars on how they drive and their reliability..if I judged on looks I think Id still be taking the bus. I dont find many cars to be that attractive to my eye.

Magazine publications are beholden to their sponsors. A few exceptions such as Automotive News and Nuts and Volts.

I only get magazines when they go on special for $5-$10 per year. Find most of them to be filled with ads and bias, I don't think they are worth more than that.

I think Road and Track and Car and Driver are ghost written by the same yuppies. A pretentious twit called David E. Davis started Automobile, I was overjoyed when Car and Driver fired him and I wouldn't waste a dime on Automobile. I used to enjoy Autoweek when it came every week, but now it's just another C&D or R&T

Originally Posted By: Irishman
I gave up on MT year's ago and I haven't looked back since.
They've had some real DOGS are "Car of the Year"

The new Camry will still sell millions of copies. As a former co-worker related, when their lease was nearly up, their salesperson called them to ask what color they wanted their new one in. Sure enough, they showed up in a new Camry quite happy about it. Toyota has a very loyal customer base that will gladly trade their old Camry in for a new one every so often.

Toyota does a great job of selling cars that are very good at their functions and don't break that often. They're comfortable taking a calculated risk on styling since the underlying mechanical systems will be business as usual for them.

Is this a thread about lousy Camry's or lousy car mags?

I get free WiFi at home, and nowadays in nearly any store I go. Ergo, no need for car mag subscriptions. Plus as I head towards buying used I can get all the car reviews I want, for free, here on this website.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The new Camry will still sell millions of copies. As a former co-worker related, when their lease was nearly up, their salesperson called them to ask what color they wanted their new one in. Sure enough, they showed up in a new Camry quite happy about it. Toyota has a very loyal customer base that will gladly trade their old Camry in for a new one every so often.

Toyota does a great job of selling cars that are very good at their functions and don't break that often. They're comfortable taking a calculated risk on styling since the underlying mechanical systems will be business as usual for them.

Guess we might be the odd ones out. We bought ours to keep a while (12+ years. Seems impossible with our current vehicle ownership lengths, lol) while being decently reliable.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Guess we might be the odd ones out. We bought ours to keep a while (12+ years. Seems impossible with our current vehicle ownership lengths, lol) while being decently reliable.

"every so often" varies by the person. I'll be looking for another Camry in 2025.

What's s car magazine?
lol.gif

Nuts and Volts is a cool name for one, though. Never heard of it before. The people that buy a Camry don't care about those specs except maybe mpg.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I think Road and Track and Car and Driver are ghost written by the same yuppies. A pretentious twit called David E. Davis started Automobile, I was overjoyed when Car and Driver fired him and I wouldn't waste a dime on Automobile. I used to enjoy Autoweek when it came every week, but now it's just another C&D or R&T

I remember buying the very first issue of Automobile magazine and it featured a Toyota MR2 verses a Ferrari 308/328.

Of course car magazines are biased towards advertisers.

I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer when I think Automobile magazine named the 1996 Civic as car of the year. I wonder how much Honda paid for that?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I hate to say it but my neighbor's new Chevy looks a lot better.

It could be the cataract from your bad eye coming into play.

I get a kick out of some of the comments about the magazine. All you have to do on BITOG is spend anytime on a towing thread-or a used vehicle thread and there are lots of guys here that have questionable "credentials" (like never having towed) on the given topic.

AS far as the article in question-it was a "hype" article, and you know they are saving the future specs for a "road test".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back