Bluetooth only available through Onstar? WTH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister bought a new Buick Encore last fall. She noticed recently that several functions of her entertainment system are no longer available. She no longer has the Bluetooth, AUX input, and USB input functions available. She was told by the service dept that those functions are only available through the OnStar system, and she has to pay for a monthly service to get them. This is extortion by GM! Any other make has these functions built into the vehicle, not obtained through a monthly service. What a crock!

Originally Posted By: grampi
My sister bought a new Buick Encore last fall. She noticed recently that several functions of her entertainment system are no longer available. She no longer has the Bluetooth, AUX input, and USB input functions available. She was told by the service dept that those functions are only available through the OnStar system, and she has to pay for a monthly service to get them. This is extortion by GM! Any other make has these functions built into the vehicle, not obtained through a monthly service. What a crock!

That's a bummer! I agree, very unfortunate. Gotta read the fine print though, hate to say it but if it's stated in the owners manual then "buyer beware". Still, something of this magnitude should have been pointed out by the sales rep (but then again, they often are clueless).

What is the cost to have OnStar? I wonder if 2-3 years of that is cheaper than a new radio.

could be the dealer just trying to sell her something, too

it could be GM's doing or just the dealer

I did some googling and found something called Bluestar
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

Just replace the radio.. cheaper and better.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

Just replace the radio.. cheaper and better.

You can't replace the factory radio with an aftermarket offering on many newer vehicles. His sister needs to read her owners manual throughly.

There has to be something more to this then meets the eye. We don't subscribe to Onstar with my wifes 2016 Malibu and we have all the features available in her car.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
There has to be something more to this then meets the eye. We don't subscribe to Onstar with my wifes 2016 Malibu and we have all the features available in her car.

This, I know many people with new GM vehicles and no one has this issue. None of those are Buicks but I can't imagine this being the case.

I have not heard this before and it certainly is not true on my Cruze, everything works without Onstar. My guess is the radio is just not working correctly. Read the owners manual and check another dealer.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I have not heard this before and it certainly is not true on my Cruze, everything works without Onstar. My guess is the radio is just not working correctly. Read the owners manual and check another dealer.

It almost looks like something in the vehicle's system is either disabled, or needs to be re-enabled. There's a screen that shows all of the inputs (i.e., AM, FM, SAT, Bluetooth, AUX, USB, etc, and all of these icons show up in color except for BT, AUX, and USB. These show in black and white only...you can't even select them...

I'd try removing the battery first to try and force a reset, if that didn't work then either an app like Carly or a proper diag/coding machine, last resort fit a new radio. Even if it's a weird shape with a correspondingly irregular hole in the dash you can get fascia adapters.

The reason you cannot select the three items in question. (greyed out) is because their respective devices are not paired.

Re pair the phone and Bluetooth will connect.

Connect a device via aux and it will illuminate.

Insert a USB stick and it will allow you to select USB.

Typical GM thread. Bash away, then discover it's (likely) operator or dealer tech error.

OP, did your sister recently get a new phone or have to reset her phone? That could have unpaired the phone from the car. As others have said, try re-pairing the phone first.

Originally Posted By: grampi

(snip) ...
She was told by the service dept that those functions are only available through the OnStar system, and she has to pay for a monthly service to get them. This is extortion by GM!
(snip) ...

Look on the bright side. You have learned, without spending anything, that the Dealer she visits are crooks. Find another for your future factory service needs. Oh, and have her call GM and tell them about the dealer; it matters and will cost them.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The reason you cannot select the three items in question. (greyed out) is because their respective devices are not paired.

Re pair the phone and Bluetooth will connect.

Connect a device via aux and it will illuminate.

Insert a USB stick and it will allow you to select USB.

This makes the most sense. Have your sister test it out and let us know.

So many people think of dealers as these all knowing bastions of automobiles. Unfortunately all too often it just isn't so. Many times the person behind the counter doesn't know much, if any more than the person in front of it.

Now don't get me wrong- there are also plenty of really sharp mechs, writers, managers and parts guys too... it just seems that they're too busy doing everyone else's work or just not available.

Glad I only buy 1980s vehicles....don't need to worry about such overly-complicated fluff.

Yea as said that's not correct. Just need to pair something or insert something into the USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back