2016 F150 2.7L, PP 5W30, 6693mi UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though my user id shows first post, I'm actually stormsearch been registered since 2003. Somehow lost my original e-mail and password, but oh well. First time ever did a UOA but was curious to see how the DI is fairing gas dilution wise. That is why I sought a direct measurement vs. calculated as done with Blackstone. So I picked up two kits from Oil Analyzers, bought thru Amsoil. I changed out the plant oil at 641.9mi with PP 5W30. I've used MC oils for last 10 years and due to comparitive costs, likely just switch all my operating vehicles to PP, Mobil 1 or similar depending on what is cheapest on the shelf. I used a new MC oil filter for the oil change, that I won't be messing around with.

So my main concern is gas dilution which report is indicating 4.8%. I didn't smell anything in the oil so somewhat questioning the result, especially given the very low wear rates for a new engine. TBN is still great. I honestly don't mind the drop of viscosity to 8.6, I'm in the camp this engine can and does work fine with a 20 weight oil or at least film thickness is still in normal range.

I might pick up a Blackstone kit and have both tested at my next interval. My goal was to achieve 7500 mi oci's. I've done either 3K or 5K on 2 - 5 vehicles for last 25 years of my life. Anyway sharing for the forum. I'm buried at home and work but just now have window to upload after receiving for a couple weeks.

Editing to add: Very low tow miles, around 500miles with a 3500lb boat. I'm a light throttle guy, striving to achieve good mpg for first year to see what she can do.

Last edited:
That is a really good TBN.

You may want to post a copy that has your personal info removed from the report.

I never had a UOA done on my '11 EB FX4 but I had too many low mileage (4K) drains that appeared to be thin as gasoline and smelled like gas too. I got tired of that and switched to Euro oils, notably Castrol Edge 0w40. I still change oil at 4-5k mostly because of soot contamination concerns and things have leveled out nicely. Edge is decently priced at Wally World so it's an extravagance I put up with so I can enjoy the torque.
At 101k miles the old girl is quiet and still very powerful- I expected a drop in output when I moved from sea level to 5600 ft but it is negligible. I have a new '17 Expedition sitting in the driveway so you already know what it'll get for oil.

Whether the used oil smells like gasoline or not, the dilution % is credible as the oil has diluted/sheared out of a 30 weight grade.

DI engines are naturally prone to fuel dilution and the strategies automakers must use to prevent low speed pre ignition (and potentially catastrophic damage) makes it worse still. Wear metals seem fine given the engine's age though, so maybe it's a matter of used oil analysis providers catching up with manufacturers on what's truly significant: the old metric of anything more than 2% being cause for concern and 5% being time to panic may no longer be relevant.

If I were going to question anything it would be TBN. 7.46 seems impossibly high after 6,700 miles especially as TBN depletion isn't linear, going down rapidly at first and more slowly as miles accumulate.

Proposed 7500 mi OCI appears conservative.
High fuel dilution doesn't translate into higher metal rate here.

Thanks all for input, agree dilution definitely happened, I just don't feel panicked about it. I'm likely to get my next sample tested at both Oil Analyzer (which I really liked the process) and Blackstone. The next test will be closer to a 7500 uoa.

I think you changed the FF too early and the quick switch to full synthetic kept the rings from seating as fast as they would have. I'd do a few runs w the MC semi with an OLM OCI and then go to the PP synthetic. I'll bet the fuel dilution will go down significantly after that. The rings will eventually seat using the PP from now on, but it might take 50k miles or longer. If your oil level appears to be rising, you know you have fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I think you changed the FF too early and the quick switch to full synthetic kept the rings from seating as fast as they would have. I'd do a few runs w the MC semi with an OLM OCI and then go to the PP synthetic. I'll bet the fuel dilution will go down significantly after that. The rings will eventually seat using the PP from now on, but it might take 50k miles or longer. If your oil level appears to be rising, you know you have fuel dilution.
It doesn't work that way With the break in.

OP, a regular engine might do fine with the diluted viscosity. Most are spec'd that way nowadays. But I would be concerned with the turbos. There is an order of magnitude of difference in RPM. Turbos also mean higher oil temperatures and shearing, which means even thinner at operating temperatures. I plan to use the Mobil 1 in 5W-30, or 10W-30 if I see it shearing, starting at 5k intervals. There is a UOA on this engine that showed some shearing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back