Credit Karma - Free income tax preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started to set this up and looked at the T&Cs and you must agree to allow all of your information to be shared with the main Credit Karma company for whatever purpose they might use it for.

So no thanks, I will pay the $29.99 for the H&R Block software CD.

TurboTax sends me a free "Home & Business" CD-ROM every year. I only bought the software once 7 years ago for $69, and they upgrade me for free every year since then?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
TurboTax sends me a free "Home & Business" CD-ROM every year. I only bought the software once 7 years ago for $69, and they upgrade me for free every year since then?

But what about state and e-file? I think H&R Block sends me the free one, but I think you pay before your done.

This year I work in one state and live in another, so I will need two states I believe.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I married a CPA to get free income tax preparation.

Is that like getting a car that runs on 87 and takes conventional oil because you don't want to perpetually pay for 93 and synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I married a CPA to get free income tax preparation.

Sounds even more expensive.

There's no way I'd even consider using a free online service for something as sensitive as income tax preparation and advice. Our CPA not only handles our taxes, but also guides us with solid strategies that helps minimize the tax burden. They also work with us year-round to make sure we're on track.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
something as sensitive as income tax preparation and advice.

Google and the government already know how much you earned. ;-) I have used TurboTax.com and the $30 filing fee is way cheaper than the $200 my accountant used to charge.

SO many online ways to file! Why use software or wait on CD's?? They all offer total E-Filing now days!

TaxAct is another good one that is cheap, TaxSlayer, TurboTax etc.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I just started to set this up and looked at the T&Cs and you must agree to allow all of your information to be shared with the main Credit Karma company for whatever purpose they might use it for.

So no thanks, I will pay the $29.99 for the H&R Block software CD.

If you use the HR Block software off a CD it still is sharing info with the HR Block "cloud" somewhere to validate the software..and they get your background info..I am sure. Credit Karma just is being more honest

I let my wife handle taxes. She seems to enjoy it, but she's been treasurer at a couple of non-profits already, so perhaps she has a knack for it. If she didn't, I'd just do it myself.

I just happen to meet the requirements for turbo tax absolute $0

If you can file a basic 1040ez and no extra conditions.. might work for you too.

I used h&r block friends and family for 20$ for 10 years but the relative retired.

If I had to itemize there are better ways to go
but for me the standard deduction is bigger by 100-200$ and alot less work.

Of course I dont own a farm, winery whatever.

I used to use tax act free federal filing for the last about five years until in 2015 they wanted to charge you to file with an HSA. Nope.
I used h and r block last year to file federal for $0 including hsa form.
And then file state for free on the state website.
Absolutely free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back