GM to move 600 jobs from Canada to Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto workers should see the writing on the wall and educate and job train themselves for a different line of work in the US and Canada. It's not only less expensive quality labor but automation taking these jobs away.

This is not necessarily a BAD thing.

Last October, my GF and I had a friend over for dinner. She grew up in Ontario and her mother worked for the Chrysler plant that was responsible for making the interior seat cushions, trim, etc. back in the 90's.

Her mother was ALWAYS sick in the mornings before going to work, and after coming home in the evenings. Nobody knew why but after she lost her job to relocating to Mexico she was forced to find new work and never experienced the illness many of her co-workers had. Most of them all ended up with the same type of lung cancer (more than likely caused from the chemicals used in production).

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
This is not necessarily a BAD thing.

Last October, my GF and I had a friend over for dinner. She grew up in Ontario and her mother worked for the Chrysler plant that was responsible for making the interior seat cushions, trim, etc. back in the 90's.

Her mother was ALWAYS sick in the mornings before going to work, and after coming home in the evenings. Nobody knew why but after she lost her job to relocating to Mexico she was forced to find new work and never experienced the illness many of her co-workers had. Most of them all ended up with the same type of lung cancer (more than likely caused from the chemicals used in production).

Thats similar to 'popcorn lung' from artificial butter fumes.

About jobs, its just a matter of time until any factory is in jeopardy of being closed.

Popcorn lung is caused by a chemical called diacetyl. Only causes problems when handled in high concentrations (like the workers who manufacture it and the flavor companies that used it to make butter flavor). Only case I ever heard of outside of a manufacturing environment was a dude that ate two bags of popcorn a day for like ten years. Supposedly the amount of diacetyl in his kitchen was similar to a manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do I get a discount for the substantially lower cost of labor?
You bet you will just holdyour breath.
laugh.gif

HeT

Last edited:
Canadian taxpayers did not bail-out GM.
Quote:
a dude that ate two bags of popcorn a day for like ten years.

He did more than eat the popcorn. He admitted he stuck his nose in the bag & inhaled the fumes. He ended-up with a lethal dose of diacetyl.

GM is not the only one moving factories. Toyota and Honda are also moving factories from Japan to China. EVERY company will dump high-cost workers for low-cost workers when the opportunity presents itself.

The solution is to voluntarily take a lower pay.
Better to have a low-pay job than no job.

LOL, when Toyota closed their assemblies in Australia, they cited the high cost of labour...which as one economist pointed out was also the reason that Australians COULD pay their way over regional average Asian prices.

They moved...to cheaper locales...and our prices never came down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back