Shop Labor Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Q regards labor fees when replaced parts are warrantied. It's been so long since I've paid someone else to fix something, I'm not sure.

PS rack went Tango Uniform recently, blowing ATF from the driver side seal. I still had the shop receipt after 12yrs and discovered the reman outfit warrantied the units for life, to the original owner.

So I approached the shop, showed them my receipt, made an appointment, new rack installed and I'm billed for 3hrs. No worries.

Problem is that rack begins to CLUNK at rest when the steering wheel is turned in either direction. Further, the CLUNK can be felt on the front fender panel. Odd that. Indy diagnoses the noise as coming from inside the rack.

Back again, to get another one installed. I'm under the impression that I won't have to pay for labor. When asked about this I was told " the manuf. don't reimburse us, we just have to eat it."

Get the car back yesterday. New rack is very stiff and feels heavy. Pump whines when wheel is turned and held. I'm presented with a bill for another $34x for labor and was stunned it wasn't covered. I say I'm very surprised to be charged for labor, as the rack was diagnosed by their shop as defective. I add I was led to believe they would "eat it". Unfortunately, the dude who told me this is not there to question. Neither is the mechanic who did the work.

There's more but that's enough for now. So, what's standard procedure for a labor charge like this?

I'd check with your Consumer Affairs office (usually part of the Attorney General's office)
to see what your state may mandate for warranty coverage for retail sales and service. How many bad racks are you expected to pay labor for?

I'd say in this situation your problem is with the person who supplied the bad replacement racks, and he in turn should go after the re-builder of the rack. I don't see how the shop that installed it should have to eat anything. I also think labor for the first replacement rack should be paid by you, not the re-builder of the rack 12 years later. So in all fairness, at least in my eyes, you'd pay the shop for the installation of the first bad rack, and the re-builder pays the shop until they get a unit in there that works. Most of these lifetime warranties apply to the part not the labor, which I why I said you'd have to pay once.

It depends on the vendor that supplied the part more than the manufacturer of the part. Some do not pay for labor at all while others only reimburse at a reduced rate. We have one vendor that will only reimburse at half of book time and pay $35 an hour instead of $140. Needless to say we don't use them a lot anymore. Ford will reimburse labor up to $150 for most parts only. If the part is not purchased through a Ford dealer than there is no warranty whatsoever.

It does suck for the mechanic if he/she is donating their time to fix something that is not their fault. When I worked at Sears Auto any warranty work was done for free my a tech, even if they did not do the previous work. In your situation I would think the first labor charge is justified, however the second one, especially with the part being defective out of the box, you should not be on the hook for.

From my point of view,being in the business...is...after 12 years you got your ONE warranty exchange,and that is where their warranty liability ends.You don't get endless free replacements after that.Plus,most manufacturers offer ZERO labor claims,those that do issue flat rate national paid labor for a period of 90 days to one year,not 12 years.Next time you pay for one outright,you get a new warranty for ONE replacement.As for the quality of these,they must be Cardone rebuilds...try a BBB industries next time.They bought out ATSCO a while back.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Both racks were supplied by the shop who did the work.

I think they are partially liable. They need to file a complaint to their parts supplier.

Are they sourcing them from "Joe Blow's spray-paint-overhauled parts warehouse"?

This is what scares me about reman steering parts (like my failing gearbox in my GMC pickup)-half the time they're as bad or worse than the bad part you took out in the first place. It's almost better to hit a junkyard & try to find a decent used OEM one.

Tell 'em to pound sand and that you expect them to keep putting racks in for free until you get a good one.

It doesn't take much to print an invoice, if a sucker pays it one time out of ten, good for them.

Ask them what their labor warranty is; more than likely it's a year. Or look on the back of your existing receipts; they usually put all sort of 5 point type in there.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
From my point of view,being in the business...is...after 12 years you got your ONE warranty exchange,and that is where their warranty liability ends.You don't get endless free replacements after that.Plus,most manufacturers offer ZERO labor claims,those that do issue flat rate national paid labor for a period of 90 days to one year,not 12 years.Next time you pay for one outright,you get a new warranty for ONE replacement.As for the quality of these,they must be Cardone rebuilds...try a BBB industries next time.They bought out ATSCO a while back.

Problem is, the replacement--and the replacement of the replacement--didn't work. So he has yet to get a proper replacement, but has paid twice so far for labor. And presumably might have to pay a third time, the way it's going.

IMO, after 12 years, paying for labor isn't that bad. Shop has to keep the lights on, some how. Paying for labor on the second try (only to have it fail) is a bit much. May not be the shop's fault; but since they sourced all of the racks... it's really up to them to fix it.

At this point I'd be willing to offer to pay for a different rack, from a vendor who knows how to make the rack, since I'd want a working car. But I don't think I'd be willing to pay labor a third time.

I'm with the pay for first replacement, the shop pays for all remaining replacements until the rack issue is resolved. My logic is that the shop, and not the owner, sourced the rack. The shop should stand behind both its parts and labor.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This is what scares me about reman steering parts (like my failing gearbox in my GMC pickup)-half the time they're as bad or worse than the bad part you took out in the first place. It's almost better to hit a junkyard & try to find a decent used OEM one.

All remain parts are JUNK. I've gone through 2 clutch master cylinders and 3 alternators in my car from Oreilly.

The aftermaket parts industry is in seriously sad shape; once decent suppliers like Moog and Dorman are sourcing Chinese made garbage.

I watch South Main Auto Repair on Youtube a lot and the parts that guy is forced to put on cars is laughable; half of them like gaskets and such don't even line up correctly.

The shop ordered/obtained both racks from WorldPac. Both are Maval remans as I've been told NEW racks for the sled are no longer available. Same with front axles.

I wasn't expecting any labor compensation on the first replacement. Further, I was glad to pay it as R&R on a steering rack is a RPITA on the sled and I don't have a lift. However, when the replacement presented with problems of CLUNKING, I was under the impression labor would be covered. Evidently not. It was explained to me by the manager thus: "If we put in 5 racks, you don't think all that labor would be free, do you?" The CAA is clouding the issue...we're not talking about 5. We're talking only about one. This one. So let's stay in the present.

If I'd of known labor for #2 would be charged, I'd of stuck with it despite the knocking as the steering effort was MUCH less than the old one (of course) and even #2. I'm puzzled why #2 takes MUCH more effort to turn the wheel when #1 didn't? He had no explanation, didn't know, "they're not all the same", then began I'm really busy, are we done here, this is taking up far too much time,.....IOW he's giving me the shove off because he doesn't like being questioned.

The mechanic who actually did the work I trust. This isn't his fault at all. He's also competant. I always ask for him.

I have called both WorldPac & Maval, spoken with both, but no joy. The later was particularly opaque & bull-headed. Rather than answering my questions, he just began repeating boiler-plate over & over. I'm not yelling at anybody...yet. Just asking for more information and asking detailed questions in a calm, cool manner. Nor have I set anyone's butt on fire on social media...yet.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I'm under the impression that I won't have to pay for labor. When asked about this I was told " the manuf. don't reimburse us, we just have to eat it."

An oral contract is STILL a contract. What they did is a crime known as "bait and switch".

They told you labor would be free for the second rack (the bait), and then they charged you for it (the switch). I would tell them you are aware they committed this crime, and calmly inform them (a) please undo the crime or (b) you will file in small claims court.

BTW this does not entitle you to a third rack.
That's a separate issue.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
An oral contract is STILL a contract. What they did is a crime known as "bait and switch".

It'd be wise to research Texas case law before dispensing legal advice.

Liftetime part should be free forever,indefinitely. Labor to replace the bad one ONCE is fair. If they keep installing defective units,all repairs until it's done right are to be 100% free. And once you finally get an acceptable repair,both the part AND labor will be warranted. Don't let any crooks rip you off.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Problem is, the replacement--and the replacement of the replacement--didn't work. So he has yet to get a proper replacement, but has paid twice so far for labor. And presumably might have to pay a third time, the way it's going.

IMO, after 12 years, paying for labor isn't that bad. Shop has to keep the lights on, some how. Paying for labor on the second try (only to have it fail) is a bit much. May not be the shop's fault; but since they sourced all of the racks... it's really up to them to fix it.

At this point I'd be willing to offer to pay for a different rack, from a vendor who knows how to make the rack, since I'd want a working car. But I don't think I'd be willing to pay labor a third time.
+1

The customer CLEARLY relied on the expertise of the "indy shop" to provide him with a proper and useful part. If there was a disclaimer on the repair order about taking your chances with the part quality or paying more for one with a warranty, that's one thing, when they want him to pay for their lousy choice of suppliers, that's quite another. In fact, it's small claims court time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back