Kawasaki Ninja 1400

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

Yesterday was a nice day, My neighbor had his Harley 103 out and his Ninja 1400 0ut to get some sun . Well I got take the 1400 out for a ride and not being confident I rode with reservation. I would never own one!! Most any M/C over 600 cc are scary fast but dang !! No need for wide open throttle.

I hear its a nice bike when driving sane. Then Its F1 fast when opened up. Faster than Hyabusa maybe. Yeah too much for me though a guy near me had a lightly used one for 6 g's. Hard to pass up but "luckily" someone else snatched it before I called him. They turn high nines at over 140mph in the 1/4mi stock with pro iron jockey on board.

Last edited:
Kind of funny, I was at a dealer with my wife last weekend. (we love looking at bikes)
I was sitting on a Concours 14. I really kind of liked it and the whole idea of it, but it would have to be my second bike. Wife wont go for it to ride on in place of the RK and I cant have a second bike.

Last edited:
There are a lot of crazy-fast bikes out there. I was looking at Ducati's recently and had to laugh when the salesperson said that the Multistrada 950 was not worth having (113 hp) that the 1200 was a "must have" (160 hp) and I believe their 1299 is around 200 HP. and of course there are the Ninja H2's with 200 and 300 hp. While I agree that 600-ish cc sounds like it should be enough, I don't like the vibration from my vstar v-twim 650 above 60. am looking at something larger just for trips; I will still ride the 650 for commuting.

I almost like the old days when a 350cc two stroke was the big thing and you could jump on the bike and give it WOT and it wouldn't spit you off. These days you have to be talented to get it on with the new bikes. I do feel so talented.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I almost like the old days when a 350cc two stroke was the big thing and you could jump on the bike and give it WOT and it wouldn't spit you off. These days you have to be talented to get it on with the new bikes. XXXXXXXXXXXX.
I do feel not so talented

I remember when the VMax came out and all kinds of bikers were hurting themselves because of the mix of great power and difficult handling...sounded kind of like the Grand National when people would boost it up to GNX power levels without the suspension upgrades.

Yesterday was a nice day, My neighbor had his Harley 103 out and his Ninja 1400 0ut to get some sun . Well I got take the 1400 out for a ride and not being confident I rode with reservation. I would never own one!! Most any M/C over 600 cc are scary fast but dang !! No need for wide open throttle.

Was it the Zet-X 14 (ZX-14)? They are pretty crazy.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
There are a lot of crazy-fast bikes out there. I was looking at Ducati's recently and had to laugh when the salesperson said that the Multistrada 950 was not worth having (113 hp) that the 1200 was a "must have" (160 hp) and I believe their 1299 is around 200 HP. and of course there are the Ninja H2's with 200 and 300 hp. While I agree that 600-ish cc sounds like it should be enough, I don't like the vibration from my vstar v-twim 650 above 60. am looking at something larger just for trips; I will still ride the 650 for commuting.

That salesman needs reprimanded by his mgr for knocking one company product to up-sell you the other. I have a 1200 and like it, but the 950 has it's place and the 19" front wheel makes the 950 actually look better (to me...) than the 1200 as far as appearances go, although the 1200's 17" is better for tarmac sport handling.

What year was it? The 2006 to 2011 models were different from the heavily revised 2012 to present version. In stock form the early version was noted from being tuned for being a bit soft on the low end and only hitting it's stride once into the upper RPM. The '12 and newer are much stronger everywhere.

Someone mentioned the 'Busa. It's arguably the better machine than the '06-'11 version. The '12 and newer ZX-14R has more power then the early version, it and the 'Busa are essentially equal to about 6k RPM, where the ZX-14R power curve pulls away to ultimately an approximate 17 rwhp advantage. The ZX-14R is also smoother than the 'Busa engine, due to it's dual counter balancers, as opposed to the 'Busa's single counter balancer. On the 'Busa that just means some slight vibration felt around 4700 RPM, or 90 mph in top gear.

The '12 and newer ZX-14R has softer suspension, and a more relaxed riding position than the 'Busa, so it's more comfortable for most people just cruising along. The 'Busa with it's more race-rep riding positon, and firmer suspension, is better when riding down a twisty stretch of road.

As far as aftermarket, the 'Busa by far has more support.

So if you want to leave a bike stock or nearly so, the '12 and newer ZX-14R is a great choice. If you want to modify beyond some simple changes, the 'Busa can be turned into whatever you want with aftermarket support. Be it a really fast Sport-tourer, or 600+ rwhp drag bike, or Landspeed Racing bike.

Example of a no-bar drag bike.

Example of a Landspeed Racing 'Busa. Bill later went on to achieve 311.945 mph at Loring, but was killed at a later event. RIP Bill.

Ideally everyone needs real talent and ability to ride a Motorcycle. Even then there's no denying it's still dangerous. If you choose to ride, do all you can to improve your riding ability, and ride what you are comfortable with.

Why buy a ZX1400? A fifth of vodka, a bottle of sleeping pills, and a box of rat poison are cheaper, and less-likely to give first-responders nightmares.

They aren't for everyone.

On the other hand I'm still here after over four decades of riding Motorcycles. The last 30+ of which have been on mostly high-performance Sportbikes.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Was it the Zet-X 14 (ZX-14)? They are pretty crazy.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

That salesman needs reprimanded by his mgr for knocking one company product to up-sell you the other. I have a 1200 and like it, but the 950 has it's place and the 19" front wheel makes the 950 actually look better (to me...) than the 1200 as far as appearances go, although the 1200's 17" is better for tarmac sport handling.
Yes is was the Zed. I didn't go even close to WOT Too lacking the skill actually. I was going faster than I wanted it was like a 1000 crotch rocket with more low end.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Why buy a ZX1400? A fifth of vodka, a bottle of sleeping pills, and a box of rat poison are cheaper, and less-likely to give first-responders nightmares.
Why buy a ZX1400? I wouldn't because I am too stupid but I will answer, why buy a 1400? Because you can.

Jarl, dangerous machines will always be a siren's song to some folks, beckoning a ride on the wild side. My Duc is 160hp/101tq @ 467 lbs dry and can be a handful, yet superbikes like the ZX-14R, Hayabusa (GSX1300R), S1000RR, Panigale 1299R etc... they have power to weight ratios that make my Multi look like a sled. Can't imagine riding one of them to the limits of their performance.

I love my ZX14R. These are my two favorite bikes that I've hung onto over the years. A 1979 6 cylinder Honda and a 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I love my ZX14R. These are my two favorite bikes that I've hung onto over the years. A 1979 6 cylinder Honda and a 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R.

Nice bikes!

That is quite the pair of "exotics" I haven;t seen a 6 cyl Honda for years. My manager at work owned a 6 cyl Honda. CBX I think?

The only things that ever kept me from buying one were the insurance, gas and tire costs. It is an incredible bike. Surprisingly easy to ride even at low speeds around town, for a superbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back