Too much use of Top Tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried looking but didn't find much information...

Can the use of Top Tier gas all the time cause any kind of build-up of detergents? I use Costco gas as its on my way home from work, its cheaper than everywhere else, and its top-tier rated. They actually say they have something like 5x more detergents than Top-Tier requires. Is there any reason not to run this gas all the time? I found a couple people here and there online saying that you'd end up with deposits or detergent build up, and that you should alternate every so many tanks with something with less detergents. I have no idea the validity of this claim, so I'm checking with everyone here.

I remember seeing the AAA study showing that top-tier can actually clean injectors/valves/pistons. But that is assuming it needs cleaning, what about a brand new car? I'm not super concerned its going to blow my car up or anything, but thought the topic was interesting.

Top-Tier fuel is specifically reccomended on at least one of your owner's manuals, for certain. Using Top-Tier at every fill will do nothing but good for your car.

Heck, makers of modern fuel additives say there are no negatives to using them every fill, though you will hit the wall of diminishing returns.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Top-Tier fuel is specifically reccomended on at least one of your owner's manuals, for certain. Using Top-Tier at every fill will do nothing but good for your car.

Yep, and I notice BMW states to use it as well. I think it was actually a BMW forum I saw mention of it causing an issue with injectors after prolonged use (no time frame). It sounded out there, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Heck, makers of modern fuel additives say there are no negatives to using them every fill, though you will hit the wall of diminishing returns.

I think Techron says every oil change, not every fillup.

My injectors hound like elves with ball peen hammer pounding on my cyl head. Really. Too much of anything is not good. Ill try to get a vid - sound like valve lash being out by .010" cold.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My injectors hound like elves with ball peen hammer pounding on my cyl head. Really. Too much of anything is not good. Ill try to get a vid - sound like valve lash being out by .010" cold.

Do you attribute this to too much use of fuel detergents?

For $0.30 a gallon difference, it's not worth it. My truck holds 26 gallons, x 30 cents = $7.80 per fill-up.

No thanks - - - I'll just run a bottle of Techron every 5K-7K miles.

Neither of your vehicles have very many miles. I'm doubtful the gasoline caused the issues.

I was filling up the MDX with Shell gas only for about a year. But a couple months ago started to notice gas mileage go down some. Driving style did not change so I switched over to a different supplier with no ethanol and gas mileage jumped back up. Was this because I was using Shell Nitro for a year or the station just had poor gas or was it a fluke who knows but has me wonder the same.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
For $0.30 a gallon difference, it's not worth it. My truck holds 26 gallons, x 30 cents = $7.80 per fill-up.

While it's a shame TT fuel is more expensive there, it could be the same price as non TT fuel elsewhere...

Neither of your vehicles have very many miles. I'm doubtful the gasoline caused the issues.
1 BAD TANK CAN KILL AN ENGINE, MILEAGE IS IRRELAVANT. IDK ABOUT INJECTOR NOISE. I CONVENIENTLY BLAME ALL ON E10 OPPps caps lock again. hard to eat pizza at work station and type with 1 greasy finger

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I found a couple people here and there online saying that you'd end up with deposits or detergent build up, and that you should alternate every so many tanks with something with less detergents. I have no idea the validity of this claim, so I'm checking with everyone here.

Have any of them presented one piece of evidence (beyond their beliefs, or anecdotal observations) to support such a claim?

Boy, that's terrible! Luckily around here there is no difference between the non-TT Marathon and the Chevron or Shell around the corner (there's another Shell that's more expensive due to location). Heck, Costco is cheaper still and they are TT as well.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Have any of them presented one piece of evidence (beyond their beliefs, or anecdotal observations) to support such a claim?

None that I saw. It was an idea I had, wondering if it could be bad. Then I saw some people stating it was, with no actual proof. It seemed possible, but not likely. So far no one here has really thought it might be an issue which is good news.

Given that the detergents and other ingredients in TT are supposed to remove and prevent build-up, I have a hard time picturing them causing it. In that vein then, I cannot see the logic in the mindset that cycling in the use of fuel without them, or lacking in a sufficient dose to meet the TT designation works as a preventative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back