Pennzoil Marine HVLU 80W-90 Gear Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
No...unless you really want to "reoil" your hubs every second or third ride
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I got some of this at O'Reilly on clearance. Would this be OK for hub bearings?

If you're talking about conventional ball bearings in a wheel hub, wheel bearing grease or any NGLI #2 grease would be much better. Gear oil will either run out or wash out too easily (depending on if you ride in dry or in wet). You want something that will stay in place in a hub bearing.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If you're talking about conventional ball bearings in a wheel hub, wheel bearing grease or any NGLI #2 grease would be much better. ...
Preferably a variety with good water resistance and EP capability.

I use grease as well. It is some blue bubble gum looking stuff I have had for years. Works great

I've worked on a few old coaster brake and three speed hubs which took oil. very vintage and also imported IIRC. Of course, they also had a fill nipple to top off with frequently... and were generally caked in grime on the outside.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I've worked on a few old coaster brake and three speed hubs which took oil. very vintage and also imported IIRC. Of course, they also had a fill nipple to top off with frequently... and were generally caked in grime on the outside.

Sturmey Archer 3 Speed hubs. If they aint leakin, add oil.

80 or 90 grade gear oil is to thin. Though I did use it in a competition decades ago. Was looking for an edge over the drag of bearing grease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back