Redline water wetter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used it in my '98 Maxima SE and it caused a black gunky film to form that coated even the radiator coolant tank.
This was with a full flush and new Zerex coolant. I really like Redline's products but I would stay away from this one.

What does the Red Line site say about that? I've used Red Line WW with both regular green glycol and DexCool over the past 20 yrs with no problems ever.

You can get the exact same effect of water wetter for free by pressure testing your coolant system and bleeding the coolant properly.

What are you hoping to achieve with Water Wetter ?

Does your car have a thermostat controlling coolant temperature ?

I just use more water to make it wetter.
In reality though, if your cooling system can't take the heat, modify it. If it is working fine, why pay $ for nothing (gain)??

These product were developed with systems using water only, they add corrosion protection and help prevent cavitation, they may also have been useful back when alcohol was the main ingredient in antifreeze.
Modern coolants are specifically formulated with all these properties and more, these products are of questionable benefit in a properly maintained system filled with spec coolant and can do more damage than good. They are good profit makers for the companies who sell them and not much more.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Would redline water wetter be compatible with Zerex Asian Coolant?
(Sorry if this is a stupid question)

Probably, but why would you want to use it? Isn't your coolant wet enough?

If there's a problem that you're trying to solve, you'd be better off fixing it right instead of throwing magic water wetter stuff at it. If you've fallen into the marketing hype, then do yourself a favor and ignore it. The only benefit will be a lighter wallet.

Water Wetter is a surfactant, in theory it should promote a better liquid/metal interface. We ran it in a circle track stock car running 100% water and a flow restrictor instead of a thermostat and it did lower max running temp. Not sure how it can be measured in a car with a thermostat as it would just stay closed until it reaches temp. Maybe under heavy load conditions it would slow the temp rise and/or lower max temp.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Water Wetter is a surfactant, in theory it should promote a better liquid/metal interface. We ran it in a circle track stock car running 100% water and a flow restrictor instead of a thermostat and it did lower max running temp. Not sure how it can be measured in a car with a thermostat as it would just stay closed until it reaches temp. Maybe under heavy load conditions it would slow the temp rise and/or lower max temp.

How did it impact the maximum metal temperature or the cylinder block and head? That's what is really important not necessarily the coolant temp.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I use http://www.rmi25.com/ available on Amazon for a cleaner. Does a lot more than that including lubes water pump. Is compatible.

Quote:
Water Conditioning is accomplished by a surfactant agent, improving heat transfer, making water more efficient than coolant itself.

Read that carefully. No one in a passenger car should be using either straight water or straight coolant.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

How did it impact the maximum metal temperature or the cylinder block and head? That's what is really important not necessarily the coolant temp.

No idea, we're talking a bunch of Pa rednecks running a 1/2 mile pavement stock car not Petty Enterprises here. All I know is the driver reported lower gauge temps with it so we used it. I wouldn't call a Redline product snake oil but it may not apply to all uses.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

Unless you have thermocouples in your engine block and head you'll never know. So the next best thing are oil and coolant temps. Considering that WW is a fluid more similar to water than glycol, one would have to say that cylinder temps would be lower using WW. I used a 90% water, 10% glycol, and WW mix in my '68 GTX years back. I tried literally everything in that engine bay over a 3 yr period short of rebuilding the engine to get it to run cooler from June-September....literally a list of 30 or more items including Infra Red gun to a new stock cam and all new cooling system components. The only thing that helped was the water/WW mix....and using 104 octane gas helped as well. The engine probably only had 10K-30K miles on it when I owned it. WW helped me get through several hot summers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back