At what RPM do you typically drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a pretty tame driver, so I typically drive around 2,500 RPM. Once in a while I'll take it just over 5,000 RPM to hear the VTEC crossover, only after the car is warmed up of course. I hit redline once which is 7,200 RPM in the Accord equipped with the K24z3, but felt guilty after so haven't done that since
wink.gif

Whatever RPMs equate to the speed limit at the time. Occasionally I'll give 'er the beans on a freeway onramp to blow out any cobwebs.

Last edited:
I have the Camry 6 speed and it often goes down to 1600 rpm. I can keep it there if I'm gentle with the gas pedal. Engine is very unresponsive at that rpm. I don't like it. It rarely hits 3000 rpm. Think I might need to drive a little more aggressively to get the computer to learn a little sportiness.

I usually shift around 4000rpm. My daily commute is a constant ~4000-4200rpm cruise in top gear on the highway for 20 minutes. Once in a while I go past redline by about 500rpm to almost the rev limiter without bouncing off.

Last edited:
I usually cruise at about 70mph which is 2k rpm on the malibu and 2,400 on the taurus. Malibu rev's between 2k and 3.2k when shifting and the taurus never really goes over 2.5k

Last edited:
Cruising, whatever it needs to maintain speed.

On ramps I usually don't need to get the Focus over 3K to get up to speed. The Cherokee with it's tired engine and oversized tires will often see 4500.

And on a few of the hills in PA towing my popup camper the Jeep was cruising at 4K for a minute or two straight.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Everyday my car gets revved out all the way. Stops at about 5,700 then shifts.

I can't help but think of the fuel waisted.

I typically go the speed limit, I'm not the impatient type who has to get where I'm going 2-3 mins early. We have this back road tho by the house, it's pretty much flat and perfectly straight for about a good mile.

Ever so often I'll punch it down the road. No homes on the road and I rarely see any traffic on the road. Even then I stay in my lane. Its pretty far out in the country so the only real risk is a wild deer.

My 84 Civic wagon cruises at 3K between 65/70. It that's mostly the driving done plus some on and off the freeway and a little bit of running around it returns a steady 41 mpg.

The engine has a carb, single overhead cam, under square, with a displacement of 1488cc with 76hp and a 5-speed manual.

Pretty much everyday i run my car rpm straight up until it changes gear (around 6200rpm) , other than that depends on the speed of other traffic as well as the speed limit.

Last edited:
Whatever the 4L60E likes. Engine will cruise around:
~1,400rpms @ 30mph in 4th TC unlock
~1,200rpms at 35mph in 4th TC locked (TC unlocks at 30MPH from locked. Staying on the gas pedal it's possible to lug the engine!)
~1,850rpm @ 60mph in 4th TC locked

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Oh, I didn't mean all the time. I just mean on my 65-70 mile daily commute there's several times where it's WOT and it revs up high.

Driving from light to light it probably goes up close to 3,000 RPMs.

It gets pretty good mpg, here's a link to my Fuelly

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/camry/2000/nickfancher1/382541

1300-2200 rpm in my daily driver 95% of the time. I rarely rev it past 3,000-3,500. What's the point? It warms up at 2,000 rpm for the first couple miles. I must be an idiot because I have no feel in my car for my when the TC is locked or unlocked. I just drive it and stay away from shift points to avoid frequent up/down shifts. And I have 250K miles on this particular transmission (Ford AX4N) over the past 16 years. No problems.

In my weekend car with manual trans it stays between 1400-2500 rpm most of the time. I will rev up to 3500-4000 rpm on every drive. I usually shift it up a gear at 2200-2800 rpm. I avoid red line in all my cars. Did plenty of that 15-20 yrs ago.

I bought a KTuner OBD2 flash module and tuned my K24Z2. In addition to fuel maps, timing maps, VTEC crossover... I moved fuel cut from 6,800 to 7,400.

I hit that at least 5 times a day.

In conservative driving, I shift around 4k. My car is a manual.

It has given me no reason to believe it is being hurt in anyway.

I like to party.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Oh, I didn't mean all the time. I just mean on my 65-70 mile daily commute there's several times where it's WOT and it revs up high.

Driving from light to light it probably goes up close to 3,000 RPMs.

It gets pretty good mpg, here's a link to my Fuelly

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/camry/2000/nickfancher1/382541

Nice, pretty respectable. I average around 23 MPG in my Accord but most of my driving is 5 miles to work and back.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I bought a KTuner OBD2 flash module and tuned by K24Z2 to run out to 7,400rpm.

I hit that at least 5 times a day.

In conservative driving, I shift around 4k. My car is a manual.

Does it use any oil? I know some of of these like to drink! Especially 2008-2010 model years.

Also, just noticed you are using 5w40...how does the K24 like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back