Transmission drain and fill on the Accord....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the day off today and the weather was nice so I decided to do a transmission fluid drain and refill on the Accord. I love how simple Honda makes it for owners to maintain their vehicles, if it weren't for the plastic shield underneath the engine bay the job would only take 15 minutes. This was the 3rd drain and fill of the transmission fluid during my ownership, and each drain and fill replaces exactly 3 quarts. As with the other drain and fills I noticed an improvement in shift quality (also noticed this on my two previous Hondas). The shifts are still quick and commanding as always, they are just smoother now. While I had the hood up I did a full extract and refill of the power steering fluid reservoir. All fluids are Honda OEM of course.

love my Rhino Ramps...

easily takes off the tree clips...

residue from the magnetic drain plug...

I only use the good stuff...

mileage at time of change...

It's always nice when it's easy. My Fusion has a drain plug on the tranny, which really helps. Just have to remove the plastic engine shield, and it's right there. Mine drains a gallon, almost exactly.

I agree on the Rhino ramps too.. however, I must ask - Are you also placing metal jack stands underneath the car's jack points/frame as well, when you do this? If not, you're just asking for a mishap. I like my Rhino ramps, but I'd NEVER trust them 100%, especially when I'm laying underneath.

Chocks on the rear wheels, too.

Indeed! I do the same for my neighbor's 2010.

It's good to see fluids NOT GET FILTHY-DIRTY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Their car drains EXACTLY one gallon of coolant when I drain the radiator. I suggest you schedule the same.

What part of CLEAN is it that so many miss? Kira

I have replaced ATF for a buddy on the same generation accord. Except the panel, it's easy peasy!!!

Curious, at 44k did you replace 3rd or 4th time ATF fluid?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
It's always nice when it's easy. My Fusion has a drain plug on the tranny, which really helps. Just have to remove the plastic engine shield, and it's right there. Mine drains a gallon, almost exactly.

I agree on the Rhino ramps too.. however, I must ask - Are you also placing metal jack stands underneath the car's jack points/frame as well, when you do this? If not, you're just asking for a mishap. I like my Rhino ramps, but I'd NEVER trust them 100%, especially when I'm laying underneath.

Chocks on the rear wheels, too.

I learned one more trick on BITOG, put a regular jack stand underneath the 'jacking point' and raise it to a safe height. An added security...

One drain and fill every 15k is good for the 4cyl. What kind of wrench did you use on the drain plug?

Originally Posted By: stower17
Nice job. Off topic but no hood insulator on that Honda?

Some don't have 'em. Our '05 MDX has one, but our '09 Ridgeline does not.

Even the same model loses them, sometimes. We had an '03 Dodge Grand Caravan that had a hood liner, and an '07 Chrysler T&C (same van generation) that did not. We bought the '07 brand new, so I know it was missing it straight from the factory.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Nice job. Off topic but no hood insulator on that Honda?

No, but it does have a trunk liner...go figure.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I have replaced ATF for a buddy on the same generation accord. Except the panel, it's easy peasy!!!

Curious, at 44k did you replace 3rd or 4th time ATF fluid?

This was the 3rd drain and fill so a total of 9 quarts. I attempted to do an extract and fill shortly after purchasing the car but only 1 quart can be extracted via the fill port. So 1 extract and 3 drains totaling 10 quarts being refreshed during my ownership since 32K miles.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Indeed! I do the same for my neighbor's 2010.

It's good to see fluids NOT GET FILTHY-DIRTY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Their car drains EXACTLY one gallon of coolant when I drain the radiator. I suggest you schedule the same.

What part of CLEAN is it that so many miss? Kira

I know right! I'll admit I am a bit of a maintenance freak. I did replace the coolant a few months back, another easy job.

While I'm all for good maintenance but 3 D&F's in less than 50K? That's just a waste of money and fluid. Unless if you plan on driving this thing to 300,000 miles I wouldn't change that fluid again until at least 100,000.

There's hundred's of thousands, if not millions, of Honda's out there over 100,000 miles that will go 200,000+ and never get a drop of new tran fluid.

Last edited:

Why do you feel that's necessary?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

I have never seen a pair of Rhino ramps crushed when the right ones are used for the proper weight. And you can tell before you go under neath if they are level and your wheels are dead center. Jacks IMHO....not needed.

Fresh fluids FTW
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Throt
While I'm all for good maintenance but 3 D&F's in less than 50K? That's just a waste of money and fluid. Unless if you plan on driving this thing to 300,000 miles I wouldn't change that fluid again until at least 100,000.

There's hundred's of thousands, if not millions, of Honda's out there over 100,000 miles that will go 200,000+ and never get a drop of new tran fluid.

A single drain and fill only replaces 3 quarts of fluid. A single drain and fill also cost less than $30. I say $30 every year to keep your fluid fresh is a very smart move. Also, just because "millions" of Honda's made it to 200K miles without transmission fluid changes doesn't mean its a good idea not to change the fluid.

What's more 3 consecutive DnF's are Honda's recommended procedure, at least on their V6 transmission (like mine). Unlike many Toyota's, drain and fills are a regularly scheduled maintenance item.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
What's more 3 consecutive DnF's are Honda's recommended procedure, at least on their V6 transmission (like mine). Unlike many Toyota's, drain and fills are a regularly scheduled maintenance item.

Isn't it a recommended 10 years, 100k miles?

I remember when it was a recommended single drain and fill every 15k miles severe and 30k normal. But that was back when Dexron was listed as an acceptable fluid.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

You feel okay trusting your life to a $50 set of plastic ramps? Personally, I'll take the extra 5 minutes and make sure that I'm 100% safe.

Anything can break, and the minimal extra effort it takes to insure you have a strong fall-back support is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back