what size torx bit do I need for the bed bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
Just grab the entire kit. Mine came with everything from a T5 up to T50.

That sucks, because you need T55 for Ford bed bolts
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
Just grab the entire kit. Mine came with everything from a T5 up to T50.

That sucks, because you need T55 for Ford bed bolts
grin.gif

Thanx
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
If they have never been out you may need a smoke wrench not a Torx.

^This, especially when living in the salt belt.
Lots of good penetrating oil, an acetylene torch (or at least a small MAP torch), the correct torx bit on an impact wrench (with lots of patience) and a few brewskies to help bribe your buddy to help lift it off.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Trav
If they have never been out you may need a smoke wrench not a Torx.

^This, especially when living in the salt belt.
Lots of good penetrating oil, an acetylene torch (or at least a small MAP torch), the correct torx bit on an impact wrench (with lots of patience) and a few brewskies to help bribe your buddy to help lift it off.
I did OK with a Auto zone $5.99 t55 adapted up to 1/2" and attached to my nifty Harbor Freight telescopes to 18" ratchet. I sheared the first one and the second one backed out. I dont have a torch and the tough one was beside the gas tank. All I have left is to un plug the lights and I'll lift the bed off. Then the fun begins. I have about 5' of frame rail to renovate. The rotted left rail is the result of the container for the plastic tank collecting crud and it never dries out. The tank is molded to the rail. I've done the dance 5 times already. Jeep Grand Wagoneers had the exact same set-up with the exact same trouble. Heck, knowing AMC, it could be the same.
grin2.gif

The T55 was Taiwanese, my expectations weren't high. The 1/2" ratchet with the telescoping handle from PRC. Both did their job. I wiggled the bolt in the J-nut back and forth maybe an 1/8 turn. Then I tried tightening. I thought I had freed it up. Nope 2 pulls on the handle and it snapped with little drama. So Asian tools were adequate. 72 tooth ratchet felt good. The T 55 looks like new. It will likely get replaced with whatever 3/8 or 10mm 5" bolt I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back