When it rains, it pours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in the last month I've had to deal with four different family members' vehicles. Some things I've fixed, others I was just asked for a second opinion.

- Sister's 2005 Grand Caravan throwing a misfire code and showing the oil pressure warning light. I cleared the misfire code which hasn't returned yet but it's due for a tune-up which probably isn't helping. Do I want to volunteer to replace the 100k sparkplugs in a V6 minivan? Not really. At least a $12 pressure sensor got rid of the oil warning light which is a known issue on these vans.

- Mother in law's 2006 Grand Caravan showing an ABS warning light. Not good. Haven't touched that one yet.

- Dad's 2005 Caravan is throwing a low EVAP pressure code. Dealer wants $1K+ to replace the gas tank(!) and all EVAP components because according to them, "it all comes together". Checking every rubber house coupling in the EVAP system for cracks found nothing, but two zip ties on two not-very-snug hoses on the EVAP canister and a new gas cap seems to have fixed it... so far. It also needs an oil pan gasket which I may tackle someday.

- Wife's 2002 Corolla now has a P0171 'system too lean' CEL. Great. Apparently this is a known issue on 2003+ cars with leaking plastic intake manifold gaskets, but hers is the old tubular metal intake so a new gasket may not resolve it but I bought one anyway since it should be an easy fix. Beyond the basics (vacuum leaks, torn intake hose), another known issue is the MAF sensor. Some report them failing on this generation Corolla after only 60k-70k miles (hers has 103k), and cleaning it is just a band-aid which sometimes makes it worse. Hello Amazon and a new Denso MAF on the way just to replace it outright and forget about it. We'll see if it helps but it needs a good diagnostic once-over to trace and check the vacuum hoses regardless. Not really my favorite thing to do.

Fun times. This is why I bought a new car recently. :p

I had a loud exhaust on the 05 Matrix and called up some area shops that had good reviews. I asked for prices for a new muffler installed to compare prices. 1st shop quoted $185, 2nd $129 and 3rd $99. The third shop said it's real common on those cars to have a bad cat since the front of it corrodes and would be $500 to fix. Some of their yelp reviews seemed fake to me. Took it to the second shop where the yelp reviews seemed real. The gentlemen there said it needed a new coupler in front of the cat and it would be $50. Gave him pat on the butt, $50 and was on my way! This place had a line forming when they opened on a Saturday morning at 9am.

4 relatively minor repairs on 4 vehicles (three of which aren't even yours) that are all 10+ years old? That's considered "pouring"?
If it's too much for you to handle you could tell all the others to take their vehicles to a reputable local repair shop, and then you wouldn't be bothered by anything other than your wife's 14 year old car. That would allow you more time to admire your "new" car.

Is yours a 4th gen - for the caravan with the evap code? I had an 03-- look around behind the passenger headlight. there is a 'T' fitting in a vacuum line. It is plumbed in with 2 rubber hoses which disintegrate. that fixed mine.

If it's the 3.3/3.8, plugs really aren't that bad. The manual says to pull the exhaust off, yada yada, but it's no big chore to get to them from the top if you can stretch that far. I've done several sets in 45 mins. or less.

I'm not a minivan person but I respect the V6 Grand Caravans - generally a durable vehicle that isn't overly hard to work on.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
4 relatively minor repairs on 4 vehicles (three of which aren't even yours) that are all 10+ years old? That's considered "pouring"?
If it's too much for you to handle you could tell all the others to take their vehicles to a reputable local repair shop, and then you wouldn't be bothered by anything other than your wife's 14 year old car. That would allow you more time to admire your "new" car.

Wow, who [censored] in your Cheerios? I was just relaying four recent experiences I had my hands on, nothing more. Why even comment?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Wow, who [censored] in your Cheerios? I was just relaying four recent experiences I had my hands on, nothing more. Why even comment?

It's his M.O. He [censored] in his own Cheerios.

POSSIBLE CONFUSION. In brief

A P0171 code can be read as "too lean". By the responses it appears vacuum leaks can be the culprit.

A P0171 code can also mean "out of lean trim" and be caused by a worn out upstream O2 sensor. It thinks it is seeing richness and attempts to send "go to lean" data. When it can't, you get a P0171 code.

Any opinions? Kira

Yeah, don't feel special, he's an equal opportunity jackwagon.

- Dad's 2005 Caravan is throwing a low EVAP pressure code. Dealer wants $1K+ to replace the gas tank(!) and all EVAP components because according to them, "it all comes together". Checking every rubber house coupling in the EVAP system for cracks found nothing, but two zip ties on two not-very-snug hoses on the EVAP canister and a new gas cap seems to have fixed it... so far. It also needs an oil pan gasket which I may tackle someday.

Man that sucks if all it took was two zip ties to fix what the dealer wanted a grand for. I don't want to jinx you, but if the fix holds this is exactly why dealers get a bad rap, over and over again.

Occasionally, Pop has good information to contribute. Other times (most of the time) it's clear he's off either his meds or his rocker.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Yeah, don't feel special, he's an equal opportunity jackwagon.

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Occasionally, Pop has good information to contribute. Other times (most of the time) it's clear he's off either his meds or his rocker.

This site doesn't allow politics or religion. It's a shame members who's major contributions are snark and disrespect are tolerated.

Quote:
- Sister's 2005 Grand Caravan throwing a misfire code and showing the oil pressure warning light. I cleared the misfire code which hasn't returned yet but it's due for a tune-up which probably isn't helping. Do I want to volunteer to replace the 100k sparkplugs in a V6 minivan? Not really. At least a $12 pressure sensor got rid of the oil warning light which is a known issue on these vans.

The sparkplugs are relatively easy. The trick is to remove the wiper module, something like 4 bolts. You will need a new gasket for the upper intake manifold plenum. You will have to remove the injectors, they can be removed as a unit, it's easier then it looks. While it's apart, check the valve cover gaskets, odds are they are leaking, all the previous removes are needed for the VC's. Gaskets are expensive but will have to be done sooner or later. Might as well do them now.

Good luck.

It's just Pops posting and he's not happy unless somebody else is unhappy. He adds nothing to this group except his own bitterness. Best to ignore him....

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
3/4 are caravans?

How about stop buying caravans?

Ha. They did, 10+ years ago.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: meep
Is yours a 4th gen - for the caravan with the evap code? I had an 03-- look around behind the passenger headlight. there is a 'T' fitting in a vacuum line. It is plumbed in with 2 rubber hoses which disintegrate. that fixed mine.

Yes, the EVAP purge valve is right there and easy to check. All the rubber for the EVAP system lines the hood is in good shape and installed tight. From some of the horror stories I've read online about Chrysler products of a certain age, I assumed they would all be hard and brittle but they all were still pliable and looked fine. A nice surprise.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
If it's the 3.3/3.8, plugs really aren't that bad. The manual says to pull the exhaust off, yada yada, but it's no big chore to get to them from the top if you can stretch that far. I've done several sets in 45 mins. or less.

Yeah, fronts should be easy and the rears really don't look too bad but these are the originals and there is lots of flaky rust and gunk around them. Not sure if I want to tempt fate and try to clean the rears off semi-blindly and end up having debris get into the threads or fall into the cylinders. But no guts no glory I guess.

Originally Posted By: Kira
POSSIBLE CONFUSION. In brief

A P0171 code can be read as "too lean". By the responses it appears vacuum leaks can be the culprit.

A P0171 code can also mean "out of lean trim" and be caused by a worn out upstream O2 sensor. It thinks it is seeing richness and attempts to send "go to lean" data. When it can't, you get a P0171 code.

Any opinions? Kira

I read somewhere that the ECU won't throw a too lean CEL unless it's already determined that the pre and post catalyst O2 sensors are in agreement that the converter is working properly, or at least that the O2 sensors are returning plausible information. Something along those lines. So while replacing the O2 sensors is probably a good idea anyway on a 15 year old car with 100K+ miles on it (and I'm going to at some point soon anyway), it probably won't fix this particular problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back